A boosted GM tube - Report

Members may post files they wish to share here.
Richard Hull

A boosted GM tube - Report

Post by Richard Hull »

Attached is a recent experimental procedure and report that I performed to test out a simple boosting procedure on a low effieiciency, all glass, GM tube.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Buildup paper.doc
(175.5 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cai Arcos

Re: A boosted GM tube - Report

Post by Cai Arcos »

Richard:

I'm interested if you still had this file. I came from here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5647&p=37875&hilit ... bes#p37875 and it seems like an interesting experiment.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I found a partial file from back then. There is enough to give you the gist of what I was doing. I will look to another CPU I have of that era. Apparently, I saved this partial file while working on the paper. the original was 365 kbytes.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

Thank you Richard!
It was a most interesting read
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The upshot, of course is that it is really tough to measure radiation from almost any source to some degree of precision without a lot of thought and good gear.
Likewise, you can boost the effective beta detection rate by placing a thin layer of the emitting substance on a thin lead plate over placing it on a piece of paper due to recoil.
You can do this for a cylinder magnet by backing one pole with a soft steel plate! The measured gauss strength can be increased at the non-backed pole over what would be measured with the same magnet, unbacked by steel. *Note this is not directly related to the radiation issue as completely different, unrelated mechanisms are at work.

Richard Hull

Return to “Files”