Identifying KF- flange sizes

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Matthew_Tarling

Identifying KF- flange sizes

Post by Matthew_Tarling »

My vacuum system has 2 different KF flange sizes. (All the parts were donations) I am going to need to buy 2 blank off’s. However, I am unsure of how to identify the flange sizes. What measurements do I need to take? I have attached a few pictures, although they may not be too helpful, they may be able to give you some idea.

Thanks,

Matthew
Attachments
Photo 688.jpg
Photo 691.jpg
Photo 690.jpg
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Identifying KF- flange sizes

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Matthew,

The first one 40mm is a KF25, the second one is probably a KF40.

If you go to the Kurt Lesker Vacuum web site, you will find all the dimensions, under KF and QF flange systems.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
CINDYLEE

Post by CINDYLEE »

Finding out what size flange you have is really easy... when you have the right tools (see below).

Click on the link below to view not only dimensions (actual size). PRINT THE PAGE, PLACE YOUR FLANGE ON THE PAPER AND FIND OUT WHAT SIZE FLANGE YOU HAVE.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/vacuumsh ... -sizes.pdf

Originally, I made this chart to make life a little bit easier for Professors getting that fresh crop of new faces each year.

Cindy Lee
LDS VACUUM

Don't forget that many companies use different terminologies for the same product. For example, NW is equal to QF and KF, it is just a different way to say it.
GEOelectronics

Post by GEOelectronics »

CF-The number indicates the nominal inner diameter in mm. for flanges from 16 thru 50. Held together with clamps. no holes in the flange.
KF = Klein Flansche = small flange in English.

The flange is sized by largest nominal I.D. [in. (mm)] tube that can be welded to it.

ASA- much thicker flanges, has an o-ring, only has 4 bolt holes up to 7.5 inch size.

CF- uses copper or metal gasket, sealed with a rolled circular edge called a knife edge. For visual identification i.e. eBay ad, bolt holes are according to size of flange.
2.75"- 6 holes.
3 3/8"- 8 holes
4.5"- 8 holes
4 5/8"- 10 holes
6"- 16 holes
6 3/4"- 18 holes
8"- 20 holes
Nicker

Post by Nicker »

For future refrence.

ref: Kurt J. Lesker., 9th Edt