Return to Fusor 2.0

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Dennis P Brown

Return to Fusor 2.0

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Ran my very large chamber fusor (2.0). Again, utterly stable through not as clean as it once was before disassembly. That is, requires the turbo to operate properly - the mech pump doesn't get it below 2 microns (previously, 0.4 micron.)

After half an hour of operation (D2 & power), its main chamber temp got very hot to the touch so I assume I have a through bake out now. When it cools, I will see if the mech pump can get the micron gauge back down to the bottom of the scale like its previous operation.

I tested some of the detectors (the He3 & BF3) - one a success the other an absolute disaster (I'll post some results in the neutron thread.)

I decided to let the system cool down. The good news on the heating was it was only the chamber that got hot. The main power electrode was not even warm to the touch (of course, only touched it after the power was off and I shorted/checked the HV side of the connector with a ground rod. Cables can act as a capacitor. But in any case, always a good idea to confirm any deadly HV source with care.)
Matt_Gibson

Re: Return to Fusor 2.0

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Sometimes you just have to try something out to figure it out :-)

I’ve found that ease of operation (predictable control and no need for water cooling) is worth much much more to me than maximum output (neutrons) vs power input.

I like to think of the larger chambers as the Porsche’s (precise control and stability, yet still very capable) and the small cubes as the Dodge hellcats (drag racing and burnouts).

-Matt

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”