Hitek XR2000

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Matt_Gibson

Hitek XR2000

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Hi everyone,

I managed to pick this beauty up on eBay for cheap. I had no intentions on trying to use it in its current condition, so took it apart hoping to find a nice transformer and multiplier to use for my fusor. From what I gather, this is a variant of the XR2000 and should be rated for -100kV and near 20mA.

Here are some pictures. I plan to hook it straight up to my half bridge/variac and run it in place of my current setup.

Any tips on testing BEFORE applying power? I tested for capacitance between output of multiplier and input from each transformer. I got 2nF.

BTW- This is one heavy piece of equipment! Totally epoxy contained so no idea what sort of capacitors, diodes, and other fun stuff.
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg
IMG_2409.jpeg
IMG_2403.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpeg
Matt_Gibson

Re: Hitek XR2000

Post by Matt_Gibson »

First test: Stuck my Fluke 40kV probe into the output end and used the variac to slowly bring it up to 36vdc on the half bridge PSU. Output on the Fluke showed -25kV. No noise or popping or anything out of the ordinary, so looks like things just might be in order.

-Matt
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sounds interesting and this seems a much more modern and up to date system than my 1990's set up. Good luck as work proceeds.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Well, I think I know why it was taken out of service. It failed today when I pushed it a little further. At 28kV, I heard some clicking noise. It then went to a few hundred volts and current draw went up. Seems that the multiplier was bad :-( What a disappointment.

Looks like I may still walk away with some really nice little transformers that don’t need oil, along with a lot of nice little bits and pieces.

-Matt

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”