Back Ground Test of BF3 tube

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Dennis P Brown

Back Ground Test of BF3 tube

Post by Dennis P Brown »

In the spirit of the previous post, I ran the Ludlum 2000 again for 10 min. Using the Back Ground cosmic noise. Obtained a count of 17, which appears in line with what I've read here would be expected. I guessed on a voltage (1500 DC) and arbitrarily used a mid-point on the DISC setting. So, might be viable or not. Hope to test with the fusor sooner rather than later.

Include a pic of the readout as well as the detector with moderators.

Added some line voltage stabilizers both for the NIM & Ludlum as well as the turbo controller to suppress noise from the turbo.
I hope my addition of moderators will improve detector performance when I do try the fusor.

Look forward to trying this setup with the fusor and also swapping out with the He3 detector, as well. If all works, then will try the NIM system (after more testing using a pulse generator.)
Attachments
After 10 min. count
After 10 min. count
BoronTriF.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Back Ground Test of BF3 tube

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work! Should be OK with neutrons. Like you say might need a bit of tweaking.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”