Kevin Introducing Himself

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Kevin Miller

Kevin Introducing Himself

Post by Kevin Miller »

Hello from Germany!
My Name is Kevin and im a physics enthusiast as u guys are! Im very interested into general physics and to be specific into particle/Atom Physics...also into unstable elements. Im working on my Fusor projekt for detecting Neutrons for like 2 jears now and im getting struggles with finding big a** parts like CF and ISO flanges, HV feedthrough, smal valves and so on. Its getting slowly build. As i think u guys are also building your own reactors....i realy need help from u guys! I thinks thats all i have to say about me haha. Finaly comeing to the fun part..........

Some Stats about my setup:

I have a very big Chamber..about 250L of volume (i Know its probably to big :I ). Its a big T chamber...on one end i have a kind of splitter Flange with 5 Smaller CF flanges(4xCF DN40, 1xCF DN100). On the bottom site i have a ISO 320 for my Defusion pump wich is ISO 320 too. And on the right site is a CF DN350!!!!...jea thats pretty big...i curently need one of thoes to seal the chamber from this site. And to not forget it ....one CF DN40 again in the middle of the T chamber... i will use it for the HV Feedthrough if i get one XD

2 Ionisation gauges without a controler... but i will only use one because why should i need two haha.
Jea and i realy dont know wich controler to buy...i didnt found a video how to use right voltage and current and how to read that current into a pressure reading. i would love to know wich right controler to buy...or if its cheaper/easyer to build one myself.

One really big Oil Deffusion pump as i said (ISO 320 wich comes to my undersite of the chamber)
It hold 1,5 Liters of oil!!!!! wich i currently dont have because its so expensive ( im thinking to change to a Turbo Molecular Pump for the CF DN100 Flange on my chamber)

And not to forget.. iff got a ISO 320 VAT Pneumatic Valve....its huuuuge as well. i think it weights about 40 KG.
i actualy dont know if i buy a Turbo pump........can i hold a certain pressure just with this VAT valve on the undersite of the Chamber? i think its real risky if it opens spontainusly with a vacuum on it XD.

Jea thats all i guess :D
Of course i need more parts like HV ..deuterium fuel, Gas-feedthrough, HV-supply and so on but my first milestone should be to get the chamber sealed.

Thanks for reading my big text! :P
Have a great day and im sure we will hear from another again!
Dennis P Brown

Re: Kevin Introducing Himself

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and welcome.

The issue with a 250 l chamber is the vast about of deuterium gas that will be required to operate the fusor. You will need a tank of deuterium rather than generating your own like many currently do here. Doubt even a lecture bottle would last long. Even then, you'll likely cycle through the tank rather quickly.

On a cost bases you'd be better off building a smaller chamber. Just the cost of a HV feed-thru for a large chamber would likely exceed the cost of a small chamber with all needed cover plates & window.

An ionization gauge system is useful but not essential. What is essential is a gauge that operates in the 0.1 to 4.0 Pa range (1 to 30 micron or so.) That is where fusors tend to operate.

You'll also need a control valve between the diff. or turbo pump and the chamber. Don't think that the valve you have allows for controlled leakage. If it is just an open/close valve not very useful for controlling the deuterium pressure. Otherwise, even a large gas tank will quickly deplete its deuterium after a few runs at best. You can't simply back fill a chamber and run it - a fusor requires a constant flow of fresh gas.

Ion gauge controllers are not too expensive as surplus (few use them anymore) so they use to be available in the $100 range. No idea if that is still the case. Again, not important compared to a proper micron range gauge (we use microns here, by the way.)

You didn't mention your primary pump type. For that size chamber it will need to be fairly large.

All in all, I think you should consider a smaller chamber for a fusor and use the large chamber for something else. You'll save a great deal of money that way.

Good luck on your efforts.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sounds like a collection of oil refinery level plumbing!! Monster "Tee" and valving. Any photos of this monstrous assemblage?
I have mental visions of an 18-inch diameter hand wheel to that valve.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Kevin Miller

Post by Kevin Miller »

Thanks for U tips guys!!
Jea that chamber is probably to big...that makes me sad.
Buuttt i think I will sell the chamber and by a smaller one.
At the time I buyed the chamber I didn't know as much as today...but I gues there is always more to learn about!
I recently got me a digital vacuum gauge from CPS (VG200)
It can read in microns ...up to 1 micron...I gues this will be enough.
Can U guys tell me how to upload a Foto?
I could send a photo of my setup because i think the chamber is a little smaller than 200L...I will measure it today.

Nice day guys!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

To add a photo - use the "Attachments" tab below the box you type in a comment. That allows 'uploading' of photo's.
Even if about 200 L still to big. Deuterium isn't cheap.
Up to 1 micron will not work. A fusor operates more around 5 to 25 microns.
Always more to learn even for someone that does fusion.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”