Hi from Paris

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Chris IM

Hi from Paris

Post by Chris IM »

Hello ,
My name is Chris, I'm 51 and I live in Paris .

I joined this forum because I'm buiding my own gamma spectrometer since I've been interested in radioactivity , X rays and especially the early history of the radioactivity era.

I studied biology and then X rays (radiotherapy, radioprotection etc) for 1 year and had to stop my studies and start working.
But still I carry on doing DIY projects in my "home lab".
For example I made holograms with the first laser diodes available on the market some 30 years ago with standard b&w photographic plates (not the holographic one)..reproducing Denis Gabor experiment.
An X ray generator with homemade teslacoil and vacuum pomp reproducing Roentgen experiment.
A solar prominence spectro-coronagraph (still in use) to watch the solar prominences with my telescope (diffraction grating , not h alpha filter) reproducing the Jules Janssen experiment.

ANd a few years ago (late 90's) when I bought my 1st geiger counter I started to collect some radioactive ores but mostly radioactive items from everyday life...

And now I want to make my gamma spectrometer to have fun and identify the isotopes in the objects I find (junk market, flea market..etc)

Thanks accepting me .
John Futter

Re: Hi from Paris

Post by John Futter »

Chris
you obviously missed or rode over the rules section when you joined

search it out and correct your username etc
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Welcome to the forum, Chris. Glad to hear about your amateur science projects, most recently the gamma spectrometer.
I'm sure you will fix your username soon. I had to do that after my own first posts more than 10 years ago.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, you will most certainly be taken from these forums and banned if you do not use your real name.
The admins are as serious as a heart attack about handles. Welcome if you change you name or goodbye if you don't

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I still remember "Sith Lord" - what a riot...
Chris IM

Post by Chris IM »

hello,
sorry ; i'dont understand what you call username ; could explain please. ?
Chris IM

Post by Chris IM »

is it the real name (the one on my ID?)

thanks..

CHris
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes! No made up names or parts of names. My real Name is Richard Hull, not Richard Radium 2023.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris IM

Post by Chris IM »

ok ; sorry ; it seems obvious to you but in France , in many forums you're not asked to put your real name ^^
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We are not like other forums where it is just fine to never know to whom you are speaking or interacting with. We are an open source scientific forum. We try and do plain and direct speak as related to fusion, the sciences, and mechanics involved in the effort. This is not a chat room. It is a conveyance of information and assistance to those in need related to fusion and an amateur effort to actually do fusion. Thanks for finally joining us in the right spirit of openness and forthrightness. Welcome Mr. IM, (Chris).

We talk of science, engineering and ideas around same as well as historical instances that brought us here to fusion and the sciences in general.

Richard Hull

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”