loctite 1C Hysol epoxy question

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Corby Dawson

loctite 1C Hysol epoxy question

Post by Corby Dawson »

Hi, I'm needing to use some loctite 1C Hysol epoxy inside a vacuum chamber for a Hydrogen Maser repair. The Box says "squeeze an even amount of resin and hardener parallel to each other" then mix them.
The manufacturers web site says mix in a 2.5 to 1 ration of resin to hardener!
The hardener is in a smaller tube with a smaller opening. Can I assume that the diameter difference in the tubes will result in the proper ratio if equal lengths are dispensed. (Not trying to make the amounts dispensed equal in diameter?)

Thanks!

Corby Dawson
Andrew Seltzman

Re: loctite 1C Hysol epoxy question

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Hi Corby,

They mean an equal length of two lines of resin and hardener next to each other. It's good stuff for vacuum work, I used it to bond beryllium to stainless for thin foil soft-x-ray windows in grad school. Make sure to clean both surfaces with acetone prior to application and to let it cure fully on a warm surface for ~24h before applying vacuum.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

I too have had success with Hysol 1C, but I also found that it does not tolerate exposure to plasma. It breaks down and outgasses badly.
Andrew is also right as usual about the cure time. Alternately, the manufacturer has baking instructions to accelerate the cure.
steve_rb

Post by steve_rb »

Hello,
I need to bond Be to copper to repair broken XRF tube Be window using Loctite EA 1C (seems another name of Hysol 1C) . XRF tube head is made of copper and has water cooling but the head temperature sometimes may go up as high as 200 DegC. What is the vacuum holding working temperature for Hysol 1C?

THX
Aleksa Djokic

Post by Aleksa Djokic »

First time hearing that head of XRF goes up to 200c? Why is that? The silicon drift detector sits on a peltier cooler, I highly doubt it would be able to cool it when the outside is at 200c. I've seen several Be windows on XRF heads, all bonded with epoxy or indium(156c melting point). Also, if the SDD has a Be window, its either filled with some inert gas or vacuumed out.
steve_rb

Post by steve_rb »

Sorry my fault. I meant 200 F (about 90 degc). I also want to use loctite EA 1C epoxy
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Baking it also makes a stronger bond. I use the stuff for all sorts of things, heck, I used it to glue the magnets back inside the shell on my motorcycles starter. They came loose during a ride, its been years and its holding up prefect since it handles high temps pretty well.

So it should be fine on your window

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”