OK, Kids... It's That Time Again ($$)

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

OK, Kids... It's That Time Again ($$)

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

- - - -
TL;dr: Just jump to this link if you want to pitch in without reading this whole post:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/restore-revi ... e-fusornet
- - - -

Greetings from Fusor.net Galactic Headquarters.

I'm writing this evening to give you all an update on the health of our site, technical and fiscal.

This past year has seen some very dramatic changes in the underpinnings of this operation. As I'm sure most of you are aware, we nearly lost the whole thing when GoDaddy utterly failed us, when things went pear-shaped and we were inadequately backed up back in February.

In the face of that impending fiasco, we were fortunate to secure the support of the individual who calls himself "The Coalman" who a) relocated the entire operation to a new host, b) restored as much of what was nearly lost as possible (regrettably not all of it), and c) got us going on a much more robust platform that was the case with the previous host.

I think our foundation is much more bullet-proof now than it has ever been, and I personally am tremendously impressed and satisfied with the service an support we get from Knownhost.

But the kind of technical underpinnings we now enjoy do not come cheap.

I have attached a spreadsheet with a reasonably full accounting of the funds we raised last year, how it all got spent (with the exception of ~$40 I can't account for), and what's left in our bank account - about $990.

At the end of February, I will be billed a total of $1,022.40 for our upgraded VPS hosting ($902.40) and the additional storage for our remote backups ($120.00). As you can see, the account is just a tad shy of what we need to pay that invoice.

Yes. I know. At nearly $100/mo this is very expensive hosting. But as you all know, we've gone with less expensive hosting in the past and we are still suffering the consequences of those choices.

I don't have to tell you all, this is a substantial web-based operation. It's been around for more than 20 years now and has compiled several gigabytes of valuable data/knowledge. $100/mo might be a lot if this was just a Wordpress installation or a vanity website, but this is a lot more than that.

We're not hard up for cash, but a few bucks will help secure the year ahead.

Every year for the past several, we've held a fund raiser of some sort, and the membership and regular users have been very generous, and that's why this site continues to grow and why we've been able to make the changes necessary to keep it going.

So those of you who are so inclined and can afford to do so, thank you for your contribution to keep Fusor.net going:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/restore-revi ... e-fusornet

Thanks,

--PS
Attachments
230207 Fusor.net Accounting .pdf
(66.47 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”