Had a crazy idea….

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
steventw

Had a crazy idea….

Post by steventw »

Noticed I been getting sunburnt looking through lid of chamber to much….
Say you had a chamber lined with solar panels to feed back into helping power itself….
Thinking of getting a few flexible panels to line the pot with and see
Richard Hull

Re: Had a crazy idea….

Post by Richard Hull »

I would probably avoid looking into the eye of the Gorgon. No power to be had with photovoltaics. Most of it is lost to your face and eyeballs.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

If your chamber top is glass, plastic, or some other transparent material that is also transparent to x-rays, you could be getting massive doses of x-ray radiation. Do you have an ion chamber meter, or other counter that can measure the x-rays pouring out of your lid?

If not, then you don't have any clue how badly dosed you may already have been.

High voltage and x-rays are really the most dangerous things about most fusors. Not neutrons.

Getting sunburned from your fusor is bad news.

Stop.

Joe Ballantyne
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

I feel like beating this dead horse is necessary. Steven, your lack of understanding, and seemingly nonchalant attitude about these topics is going to get you hurt, whether that's an HV shock, high x-ray dose, or eye damage from lots of UV. You demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of basic physics topics when you post, and you owe it to yourself to take a step back and do a lot more research. I would also advise that you avoid such "sources" as e.g. the Primer Fields videos you've mentioned; they are crackpot theorists who misunderstand even basic plasma physics and astrophysics.
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

I know it seems like piling on at this point, but if you do have some sort of burn, I’d also suggest seeing a doctor about it. Get it checked out.
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

To add to the chorus, please be careful.

UV is terrible for the eyes. I've had minor eye damage before from a welder whist overlooking a student. A split second mistake, but one that really hurt the next day even with medical care. I was lucky, no permanent damage, just a lot of pain and a feeling of grit in the eyes for days.

Our vision is precious and every possible care should be taken when dealing with anything that has the potential to damage it.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Sometimes I wish there was a 'like' or a 'thumbs up' thing we could click on for posts like this.

But, probably better in the long run that there isn't.

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Anze A Ursic

Post by Anze A Ursic »

So... are you ok? Hopefully it was nothing serious.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

The OP has not logged in since the original posting on January 2nd. No further info available.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We can say that there are lots of FAQS warning of windowing via view port or giant view ports, in this case, blasting x-radiation out of fusors. If the newbie has not read and obeyed the warnings related to x-rays exiting view ports, this falls on the user/operator.

These forums are not an amateur scientist playpen. We are a serious group of scientific minded folks seeking to study ,and ultimately, do fusion. There are dangers and risks involved. The FAQS exist to assist newbies in having a safe and rewarding experience should they get involved with a build.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
steventw

Post by steventw »

Hey
Had something interesting happen
Left power on as leaked in air
And as it hit 75000 micron
Big jump
70659207257__72A0B200-ADBD-4C5C-B94B-9B355A393765.jpeg
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Arcing in the chamber probably caused enough emf to trigger the opamp in your geiger counter that would normally be counting pulses. 75k micron is basically atmospheric pressure.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”