vacuum chamber from eBay

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Arya Afshari

vacuum chamber from eBay

Post by Arya Afshari »

Hi everyone, I'm reaching out to ask about buying a vacuum chamber from eBay. I have this one in mind: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403428537982

As I understand, any knick in the knife edge of the vacuum chamber can cause leaks in the vacuum, so is it safe to buy a vacuum chamber from eBay without physically inspecting it? Anything else in particular that I should watch out for?

Also, vacuum chambers coming in different shapes and sizes, does the shape of the vacuum chamber in the link make sense and is it viable to use as a fusor chamber? If anyone has any opinions on the vacuum chamber in the link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Arya
Jerry Biehler

Re: vacuum chamber from eBay

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I wouldn't call this a vacuum chamber, it's a cross fitting, a fancy one with a bend but just a 2-3/4" cross. That being said people have built little fusors with crosses the same size as this.

Ebay is pretty safe. If one of the knife edges is dinged it is defective and you can return it and they say the knife edges are in good shape so they probably know at least a little about it. It's not the old days of ebay when it was buyer beware.
Arya Afshari

Re: vacuum chamber from eBay

Post by Arya Afshari »

Jerry Biehler wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:55 am I wouldn't call this a vacuum chamber, it's a cross fitting, a fancy one with a bend but just a 2-3/4" cross. That being said people have built little fusors with crosses the same size as this.

Ebay is pretty safe. If one of the knife edges is dinged it is defective and you can return it and they say the knife edges are in good shape so they probably know at least a little about it. It's not the old days of ebay when it was buyer beware.
Thank you Jeremy for the response. Appreciate your input!

Yes, it is a "4 way cross"; I'm still learning all the terminology. It seems that without spending too much money, a cross like this one is a viable option for me.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”