NIM tester and repair station

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

NIM tester and repair station

Post by Richard Hull »

Many here will remember my NIM cage with no power supply in which I made my own Plug-in supply. This entire effort was to create a test bed and check for NIM modules I have acquired.

I have now expanded this to become a repair station of a versatile nature. I have cabled an external NIM bin socket that will allow the module to lay open and powered on a bench where a DVM and oscilloscope can probe the open circuit with ease and parts may be easily replaced and tested. Following repair, internal calibration pots may be adjusted with ease. Likewise, pulser modules, HV supplies, and ratemeters can be installed in the NIM bin and used to feed the open NIM module under test to be probed in actual operation for full functionality.

As the attached photos will show, the NIM module under test can lay conveniently in front of the NIM bin with the flexible cable routed from the rear NIM buss of the bin.

I have a backlog of modules that are defective and of unknown condition that I hope to work through and get calibrated. I have, just the other day, repaired two 459 Ortec 5kv bias supplies that I recently purchased as non-worked modules at HEAS #33 using this setup.

Others might consider this if they are competent in electronic repair.

As always, for newbies, click on image to enlarge and back arrow to return to view other images here.

Richard Hull
Attachments
NIM repair.jpg
NIM repair2.jpg
NIM repair1.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”