What would happen if the inner grid rotated?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Alec Fadness

What would happen if the inner grid rotated?

Post by Alec Fadness »

I read that alot of the particles that are pulled by the induced voltage collide pointlessly into the inner grid and do not fuse. What if the inner grid rotated at an increasing rpm great enough to move out of the way of the particles it pulls toward the inner grid? You could time pulses of high voltage such that particles are pulled quickly towards the tungsten wire, but the tungsten is given sufficient time and acceleration to move out of the way, increasing the particles that actually make it past the tungsten wire.
Liam David

Re: What would happen if the inner grid rotated?

Post by Liam David »

I would invite you to consider the ion velocities and calculate the RPM needed. You may find that the wires must move on the order of orbital speeds... Also consider where ions are formed, and how the act of moving the wires alters ion trajectories.
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Not completely related to your question, but your post made me recall grid rotation experienced by my son 10 years ago. Reading through the thread, I'm not convinced we ever understood what happened.

viewtopic.php?t=7889#p57122
Alec Fadness

Post by Alec Fadness »

I would invite you to consider the ion velocities

Unsurprisingly I found the answer on fusor.net! (1,600,000 m / s) Source

Electric motors can spin pretty fast. Dyson has one that reaches 104,000 rpm! Source Imagine if you could pipe 30kv through a series of carbon brushes attached to the base of the tungsten wire grid as it spins at 104,000 rpm.
Also consider where ions are formed, and how the act of moving the wires alters ion trajectories.
I was considering this as well, I would like to find out!

Return to “New User Chat Area”