Setting up turbo pumps

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Chuck Sherwood

Setting up turbo pumps

Post by Chuck Sherwood »

Hello all.
I recently acquired several Alcatel turbo pumps from the estate of a friend. These pumps have been on the shelf for a long time. The pumps are 5400 and 5030CP. There is very little info on the web about these pumps. What little bit I have found suggests at a minimum regreasing the bearings after long storage. Some references state to replace the bearings. I have one controller (CCF 450) and one cable. I connected things on the bench and briefly turned one 5400 and the 5303CP on for a short test and they spin up. The big 5400 whines like a siren.

Is it safe to pump them in service "as is" or do I need to do some maintenance first?

As a side note, I also acquired a Pfeiffer TPU170. I did find a manual online and It shows how to inject oil in one side and let it drain out the other. I put some 20 CC of turbo oil in each bearing as suggested. The manual states that some old oil should run on the bottom plug in the process but almost nothing came out of mine, suggesting they were dry.
Chuck Sherwood

Re: Setting up turbo pumps

Post by Chuck Sherwood »

Here are some pictures of the pumps
Attachments
5030cp.jpg
5400-2.jpg
5400-1.jpg
Chuck Sherwood

Post by Chuck Sherwood »

Here are some pictures of how I setup the Pfeiffer turbo pump. It has a CF6 top so I found a CF6 blank and attached a bulkhead KF50 flange to it as shown in these pictures.
adapter step1.jpg
adapter step 2.jpg
adapter step 3.jpg
adapter step4.jpg
Discovered I needed a pocket in the back for the intake screen
pfeiffer top.jpg
adapter step 5.jpg
Here is a running setup.
I "hung" the pump from the top by using studs instead of bolts in 4 of the conflat holes.
pfeiffer setup.jpg
I decided to make my own vent valve. I used a standard brass valve and made a brass K10 fitting to match and soldered them together.
vent 1.jpg
I made an insert with a tiny hole (#75) to limit the inrush.
vent 2.jpg
vent 3.jpg
This system works pretty well. Can get down into the middle "6s" in about 45 minutes.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Nice machine work.
Chuck Sherwood

Post by Chuck Sherwood »

Initially I priced CF6 to KF50 adapter and the prices seemed steep. After making this, I am not so judgmental on that price. I dulled three taps cutting the threads in the blank CF and boring that 2 inch hole was tedious because I could not remove more that about 25 thou diameter at a time. Not sure what kind of stainless steel it is but I suspect 304 which work hardens. I could feel the tap turning harder and switched to a new one after 2 or 3 holes.

The big Alcatel 5400 pumps could be put into service in the same way, but it seems ridiculous to reduce an 8 inch pump down to 2 inches. I don't really have a need to do so, I just like to play with things like this. The road block there is lack of any info on the Alcatel pumps and the fact the bearings probably need a shot of expensive grease before they can be used. No need to waste money when I have a couple other options.

I found a little info on the Alcatel 5030CP which is a molecular drag pump. It tolerate a high input and output pressure which makes it seem like a nice lab setup.

chuck
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Definitely do some maintenance on them. I’d replace the bearing on the noisy one. Once they tear up, they are probably impossible (for us) to fix. Also, if they get up to full speed and decide to fail, it could be pretty dangerous to be around.

-Matt
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Gotta buy good taps, then you won't have the issue you had. Spiral tip high speed steel taps, from OSG or other name brands. Pretty much any HSS tap from McMaster will be fine, they carry good stuff.

I had an old Alcatel 5150CP a long, long time ago. You had to inject grease in with a syringe through a port on the side of the pump.

Alpine Bearing ought to have the bearings you need too.

Return to “New User Chat Area”