Hamfests are changing + a bit of humor.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Hamfests are changing + a bit of humor.

Post by Richard Hull »

I started my hamfest questing in 1974. I have mentioned this typically yearly event in big cities over many years and postings here. Back in those lost days of yore, you would be blown away by the cornucopia of items and materials for sale at bargain prices. The selection was 100% electronic but focused on Amateur radio, of course. There were no computers back then. Most vendors were WWII and Korean war vets who were hams. Once back home and their war over, the government had massive dumps of surplus gear. These old hams bought all the electronics up from many surplus dealers in the 40s and 50s. As these guys of the Greatest Generation aged, they sold much of their once treasured surplus during the 60's onward at the beginning of the hamfest era.

By the 1980s their surplus mixed with more modern surplus. It was a great blend for the electronics freak and hams. In the 90's a few older personal computers and related components appeared at hamfests along with surplus instruments such as, Oscilloscopes, digital counters, signal generators, all of modern manufacture. The mix was near what I term the absolute peak or ideal mix in the early 2000s.

Slowly, the old guys passed away and the WWII surplus thinned to a trickle. The event slowly devolved into an "old computer fair" where far outmoded computer gear became a drug on the market. Today, this is still the case. All, or most, of the variegation found in the early days is lacking, but still worth the effort to attend such events. There are still bargains to be had and repairable defective gear from the 80's and 90's to be had if you can fix electronics of that era. Most electronics after 2010 is just not repairable as surface mount took over and IC chips of modern ilk do not have a long shelf life of continued availability.

In the old days there was the humorous term "Boat Anchor" applied to a lot of the 40's and 50's surplus gear. Giant military gear that had languished in basements, sheds and covered with tarps outdoors since those old boys bought them after the war appeared in huge amounts in the 70's and 80's. These were all boat anchors. Many, still of some value, but at the extreme end of viability to the average hamfest goer of the 70's and 80's. These "luggables" were still purchased back then and did get carted off in wagons and hand trucks to the smiles of many others at the hamfest.... Saying... "Gee whiz, that guy has a real boat anchor there"

I created an official sheet defining what a boat anchor is back in 1980. It was found among some old papers a while back. I had to scan it into a Jpeg file. I submit it as a bit of old hamfest humor.

Everyone that has been here for any long periods, know of my fabulous finds at low prices for so much of what I have found at hamfest.

Again, enjoy hamfesting if your area still has one convenient to you.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Boat anchor.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rich Feldman

Re: Hamfests are changing + a bit of humor.

Post by Rich Feldman »

Applause for Richard's boat anchor symbol and official definition.

Yesterday was 4th of 6 flea markets in our season. Was the first time I went just to browse (instead of sell) since the pandemic.
Looking for a place to tell the story, I came across Richard's boat anchor post.
This seemed like a good boat anchor specimen. Newer than war surplus, older than early personal computers.
20230709_095504.jpg
It shared a pallet with an old TV whose wood finish has been neglected.
20230709_095524.jpg
Let untaken at Free pile were oscilloscopes with missing body parts; nobody thinks the CRT's are worth playing with.
20230709_111714.jpg
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Richard Hull

Re: Hamfests are changing + a bit of humor.

Post by Richard Hull »

At every hamfest I have been to in my 40 + years at it, there are always a few vendors with the "Free Stuph" signs. I rarely take such material beyond my free Raytheon vacuum tube element spot welder and the free, current precision mechanical vacuum pump that has worked my fusor IV and V continuously since 2004! Free Stuph forever!!!!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”