My project

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
vlad_klanoff

My project

Post by vlad_klanoff »

Finally managed to find some time to move forward a bit - just put most main parts together.
Have not tried to pump yet - still waiting for a few small things to arrive.

2022-06-27.jpg

On the picture below the app is not connected to real hardware - just getting info from the emulators (but have tested successfully with real power supply and gauges/controller) :

Controls.png
Richard Hull

Re: My project

Post by Richard Hull »

Looks like a really good start. All the best in the continuing effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
vlad_klanoff

Post by vlad_klanoff »

Have no idea when I can finish the project - no time available :(

Barely found an opportunity to put the foreline together and turned the mechanical pump for the first time. At the first glance it's working OK but I don't like the fact that the vacuum in the foreline drops very quickly after I close the valve just after the pump - seems pretty bad leak even with very few connections. Certainly will need to check/clean all flanges...

ForelinePumpS.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

These might be what I call first blush, pump down, virtual leaks. This is very common. Over time this will diminish, especially if you can fully isolate the foreline pump when turned off with a quality valve. Foreline lengths are often very short and can outgas to a suitable level quickly. A hot oil in the foreline pump can put some oil vapor in the foreline without a trap. This can include water vapor.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
vlad_klanoff

Post by vlad_klanoff »

Richard Hull wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:26 pm Foreline lengths are often very short and can outgas to a suitable level quickly.
I thought it could be my case - my foreline is very short and the pump was left with fresh oil for almost 6 months, so certainly a lot of humidity there.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

As you are new to the forums, we do not use quotes from previous posts in a thread in replies. We feel we are smart enough to have read that which preceded in all of the thread and do not need to re-read that which is already written above. Please avoid using the quotes within a thread.

As regards unused new oil over time in a pump. Assuming you flushed the old oil in the pump or if the pump is new with new oil in it, as long as you perfectly seal the inlet, exhaust, and tightly close the ballast knob, you may assume that new oil in a disused pump might be fine for 1, 2, 3, years.

All pumps if stored or disused over periods even as short as 1 month are best sealed at every point against casual atmospheric contact.

Image attached is during my table setup and construction of fusor IV. This shows how I isolate my pump completely from the air on all ports over the many months now between intense fusor runs.

Richard Hull
Attachments
IV forepump.anno.jpg
vlad_klanoff

Post by vlad_klanoff »

Never ?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

As I say, we are smart cookies and tend to read every posting in a thread and have memories even in my 76 year old brain that can remember what has been said over the entire thread.

When tempted to quote, just begin with something like...."Regarding Mr. Jones post above related to thermocouple accuracy,"........

If someone is so dull that they cannot remember want Jones said, as recently as earlier today or yesterday, let them go back and read it.
The best here will not care about what Mr Jones said, but are far more interested in your immediate thoughts related to thermocouple accuracy.

We are not babies needing to be "spoon fed" histrionic quotes from above in a thread. Try starting out with something like the highlighted text above.

No not never..... if you have read something from another thread, perhaps even in another forum, quote if you must, but a URL referencing the entire thread would be preferred, followed by your comments related to it. If we are the slightest bit interested and can't figure out your message, we will click on the 5 year old FAQ to see what you are referencing. A 40 line quote from your reference just loads up your text. Again, we probably remember the slant of that thread, and will probably instantly grasp you questions related to it. This is provided you explain your question or thoughts clearly. Most of us here have been at this a long time and newbies would be better served by a URL of the old thread so they may consume it in its entirety rather than a disemboweled paneled quote from years ago or one just above your current reply.

I would far prefer to read a well constructed 40 line post of yours than to have it blocked by a 20 line quote.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”