Help ID'ing RF Connector

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
RobertMendelsohn

Help ID'ing RF Connector

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Hello,

I am having trouble identifying an RF connector. Neither BNC nor MHV will mate with it. They are attached to a 4.5"CF flange, which the seller identified as BNC. Any ideas? It seems almost exactly like BNC or MHV except insulation sleeve length.

Any help most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Robert
Attachments
IMG_6155.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Help ID'ing RF Connector

Post by Richard Hull »

These are external special HV connectors with no real locking lugs as found on BNC connectors. Being push-on only unless they lock internally, out of sight. Figure on these being of no real value related to the flange without having the mating connectors on hand. We wonder what sort of arrangement is on the other side. (internal to the vacuum)

Have I mentioned that I hate, with a passion, rare, custom connectors and fittings?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
RobertMendelsohn

Thank you Richard - do you think I can kludge together something by dremeling back the insulator? Any ideas/tips?
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

What are you hoping to use that for?

-Matt
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Naturally, the mate is a female connector I would assume you need a piece of conductive tubing that is a tight fit to mate with the pin. the plug body would be either a metal shell just oversized to go over the male barrel with a very thick internal ceramic or teflon insulating sleeve to go over the male plug's insulator.. or...a smaller metal shell to fit within the male shell and a thinner ceramic or teflon insulating sleeve to do the same over the male plug insulator. The real trick is insulating the body of your made up female from the internal pin to the metal plug body.

All of the above would be OK and would be how I would do it, if I was so driven to conquer the issue. Some such things, on rare occasions, stare at me as if a gauntlet is thrown down before me. Seeing this situation would have me pass even though I know just how to attack it. I assume you are not pumping in RF but only DC? If so, you are in for much, much more headache.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
RobertMendelsohn

Do you think 50V RF will be a problem through a DIY connector?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

50 volts is a snap even with a lousy plug. RF?? What frequency? You have to now worry about RF shielding issues if the frequency is high and the RF current is also high. You seem to not give any real details about what you are planning to blast through these connectors. Don't make us have to pull teeth to get it out of you. Full details please.

Richard Hull
RobertMendelsohn

This is an RF feed-through for a helicon plasma source. The frequency range is 3-15MHz. I am only putting 1-5W power into it. I have a lot of matching equipment and everything is completely contained in a very thick steel vacuum chamber (no concerns about emissions outside the chamber, it's a Faraday cage).
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I would think you could fabricate a suitable connector at those frequencies and energy handling capacity. I know I could with great ease. Would not be pretty but would be very serviceable.

Richard Hull
Alexi Hammond

Post by Alexi Hammond »

This is a flange from a UTI mass spectrometer. The mating part is a bunch of MHV connectors held together with a brace. The brace attaches to the flange using two screws. The UTI mass spec electronics applies up 3kv dc to the detector and up to 300 V peak rf at about 1mHz to the poles.
So, 50V rf should be no problem.
uti-100c-quadrupole-analyzer-cables.jpg
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I was going to say this looked like an old RGA flange.

Return to “New User Chat Area”