My odd ball leak and special operational restart time

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

My odd ball leak and special operational restart time

Post by Richard Hull »

I actually posted and then erased this post from Matt Gibson's fusor thread in images du jour as I felt a bit like hijacking a subject related to his long thread. Yes, it was pertinent to the flow but I move it here as it is about my fusor specifically. Sorry Matt.

My reply was about his noting that his fusor's turbo taking his fusor down to .01 micron (~10e5 torr) rather quickly. The discussion in his forum was about leaks in the system and doing fusion with leaks. I answered him thusly....
******************************************************************************************************

My Turbo ripped my fusor down today from 15 microns to .05 microns in under 4 minutes, and this was before it reached full speed! Yes, I am in my 6th day of bringing the fusor V back up to good performance level and loading up the chamber. More on this later. Ran the fusor and did great! At the instant of power down, I valved the fusor off tight and timed the pressure rise at 1 micron every 125 seconds. Turbo always yanks the chamber down in a twinkling.

Doing some coagulations, that means if I am at 7 microns on my baratron gauge during a run, 7% of my gas is air over a minute of neutron counting! .5/7= .071...Works though...Does fusion....Activates Ag, In and Rh.

My thoughts..... As the wall loads over time, the pressure I can use rises with each day's run as do the neutron counts (fusion). This pressure, with wall loading related deuteron releases, adds to the purity of the deuteron fusion energy count along with the gas pressure ratio impurity drop of say running at 13 microns..... (.5/13 = .038) 3.8% air among more D2 molecules in addition to the wall created and released deuterons that can reach peak fusion energy. I think this explains my need for several days of conditioning peculiar to my rather leaky fusor.

Cogitate on this and let me know your thoughts. Those who might have run fusors to significant advantage might be the best to chime in on this. Each fusor is different and the operator get a feel for operation and, thereby, has a feel for how fusion is done in the fusor at a real gut level. Admittedly, I am one of the last people here running a successful spherical fusor capable of multiple beams and large area wall loading.

One thing about doing fusion and learning over the years the many modalities and requirements of the amateur fusor will help understand odd operational characteristics, peculiarities, problems and understanding at a much deeper level. You can't find this info and knowledge in a book, but you can share it!

All I can attest to with proof and figures placed before you, is that with this rather significant leak, in a 6-inch spherical fusor, this is how I have to condition my fusor over a week of one run per day to achieve ever increasing improvement is fusion. (Two spaced out runs per day will need fewer days, of course.)

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”