Torsten from Kronberg in Germany

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Torsten Pieper

Torsten from Kronberg in Germany

Post by Torsten Pieper »

Good evening everyone!
It's really fascinating how so many people from all over the world come together for research! Long live the internet! ;)
I myself am from Germany, more precisely: from Kronberg im Taunus near Frankfurt am Main.
I am an engineer and work in the development and automation department in a large company. My specialty is image processing, sensors and laser technology. My degree was Engineer for Applied Physics.
So ultimately more practical application than physical basic research. There was a great lack of higher mathematics. Sadly I have to say..
Especially higher physics and mathematics was always my passion!
But luckily now I can do both.. I hope that this is a good basis for my newest interests. Since I've been hearing more and more news from the fusion sector, my interest has increased so much that I first read up on plasma physics and then stumbled across the fusor approach.
I don't have any equipment to build anything yet. But I was already able to do some calculations and thus narrow down why fusors work at all and what is necessary to build them. It's not that much.. To give deuterons an equivalent temperature of 150 million degrees, just 12.9 kilovolts are needed.
Basically ridiculously little.
The problem is effectiveness. So the grid of the inner pole is in the way and certain contamination due to metal evaporation, for example. That's why I'm considering alternatives and already have some ideas. I'll put that up for discussion if you're interested. Bye for now!
Bye! Torsten
Dennis P Brown

Re: Torsten from Kronberg in Germany

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and welcome. There are already alternates to a wire cathode grid for a fusor - the pollywell design which has no grid at all. As you will discover, just about every idea has been tried but facts are facts - fusors use the same process as our Sun so it cannot be improved to any level that really matters (lucky for us or life would never have existed in the Universe!) Read up on how fusion occurs in fusors (very different than the big machines) and why it can never produce net energy.
Torsten Pieper

Post by Torsten Pieper »

Dennis P Brown wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:17 am Hello and welcome. There are already alternates to a wire cathode grid for a fusor - the pollywell design which has no grid at all. As you will discover, just about every idea has been tried but facts are facts - fusors use the same process as our Sun so it cannot be improved to any level that really matters (lucky for us or life would never have existed in the Universe!) Read up on how fusion occurs in fusors (very different than the big machines) and why it can never produce net energy.
Thanks for the welcome. You are right.. i calculated many different ways to produce and hold a plasma - everything is out of reach for amateurs with
limited possibilities.. But actual it doesnt matter. I start over with simple electronic experiments, increasing complexity from time to time.
So I started by cleaning the mess in my room from the basement - the only place i can use as laboratory. I am living in a multi-party-house..

During this process i found more tools than i expected. The last years i already bought some good stuff including
multimeter, laboratory power supply, a drill and much more. There is even still my old electronics experimental set from busch-company. So i will first start over with it..And i collected all old electronic devices in my appartment.
I took most of it to the city's building yard, where old equipment is collected for disposal.
But I've saved some parts that I think I can put the components to good use.

Yesterday i measured the dimensions of the room and now i am constructing my own workbench.
The dimensions are about 1.95 to 3.47 to 2.2 meters (width, length, height), so i planned a main workbench to be 0.8 to 1.8 meters (but i want it easy to move in case i have to relocate to another appartment.)

I've been thinking about some things for this. First: whats the best way to ensure safety when using high voltages?
I think i will use a general faraday cage and a general grounding of the table, no matter which experiment i try.
It should also be able to shield electromagnetic radiation like microwaves.
I have some experience with security systems in my company, so i am pretty sure i will find a way.
I dont have a cad-program to vizualize it but its also possible to use blender 3D for cad-applications.

There are several extensions i want to implement: rubber feets to damp vibrations.One extra shielded place for a laptop maybe (dont want to barbecue my laptop..).(A nice camera tripod for documentation purposes ;))..

Next Time i maybe start my first topc in the technical forum. Thanks and have a nice weekend!
Bye! Torsten
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello again; best to ask these questions in the appropriate forums since this is an introductory thread. That said, I'll say a few things in general: real and proper grounding is critical and required for safe operation of any fusor power supply. A Faraday cage is likely just a lot of needless trouble and it would often interfere with access to a fusor (which MUST have its main chamber properly grounded, anyway.) No sane person uses microwaves to power fusors - ever. The dangers are extreme and beyond anyone's ability to safely do except professional groups (read many millions of Euro's for development.)
Torsten Pieper

Post by Torsten Pieper »

Dennis P Brown wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:05 pm to ask these questions
Sorry. It was supposed to be more general introduction, no question. Like I said. I wont start with fusors. It will take some time, to explore more basic electronics, before i try to use really high powered stuff. See ya soon!
Bye! Torsten

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”