Fusion Reactor Parts And Questions

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Matthew Nikolaenko

Fusion Reactor Parts And Questions

Post by Matthew Nikolaenko »

Vacuum Chamber: https://shop.wagnercompanies.com/hemisphere-b4174,
Flanges: https://www.aimsindustrial.com.au/aap-6 ... pkQAvD_BwE,
Tungsten Rods: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30433523128 ... VMQAvD_BwE,
Accessory Flanges: N/A (To connect the vacuum pump and diffusion pump along with the gas pump),
Vacuum Pump: N/A,
Diffusion Pump: N/A (I'm assuming the diffusion pumps the cheaper option rather than the turbo pump but I'm seeing some diffusion pumps priced at near $1000AU),
Diffusion Pump Oil: N/A (Seems to be for some sort of convection),
High Pressure Regulator: N/A (test whether vacuum chamber has hit equal or below 75 microns),
20kv/50ma Power Supply: N/A (I might go for something higher but power supplies are really expensive),
Electric Feedthrough: N/A (Is this supposed to get the power supply to not short circuit or to just get the power supply down to the tungesten cage?)

This is what I have put together for now, is this good enough to make a working fusion reactor? All the N/A's I put on there are where I couldn't find the right link to what I wanted. I may have to look deeper on some other sites like eBay to find them.
Liam David

Re: Fusion Reactor Parts And Questions

Post by Liam David »

Matthew, it seems like English isn't your first language and I think that's led you to confuse the purposes of some components. For example, a high-pressure regulator doesn't measure the vacuum pressure. It reduces the high pressure found in most gas cylinders into something that is more manageable. Perhaps you meant a vacuum gauge, of which there are many types. The tungsten rods will not bend into a grid--you're looking for tungsten wire. The flanges from AIMS Industrial are not ideal and are not meant for vacuum. Something like conflat, ISO, or ASA would be best. You're starting to understand the basics, but have lots more research to do. It's in your best interest to refrain from purchasing any parts until you do a lot more reading.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Many of us learn the hard way, especially if entering the wilderness of scientific material purchasing. Everything is specialized though quite standardized in the technical and scientific vacuum arena. Steam pipe fittings capable of withstanding 1000psi pressure are no good at keeping normal air pressure of 14.7 PSI outside of a vacuum chamber from slowly leaking in and spoiling a useful vacuum.

As Liam notes, there are high pressure gauges and then there are vacuum gauges and these are vastly different. Study the FAQs intently and look at the images du jour to see how systems are actually assembled.

Australia is a giant country, but tends to be coastally citied. These cities are much like the US cities and heavily populated. Only in these cities with big universities near them will vacuum specific suppliers be found. You are disadvantaged in that lower priced vacuum materials are only going to be found of E-bay or in a surplus venue. Shipping with take a toll on your dollars. Study intently as advised before spending a single dollar.

All the best of luck

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

First, don't get discouraged - we all started off not knowing anything about vacuum devices/techniques or electrical issues, details on fusor systems and so on. Reading here is a good start but not going to enable you to build a real fusor or even a nearly complete demo. That is done by building parts of a demo systems and learning by doing. This is not unlike any math or physics course - until one does actual problem sets, one really never truly understands the material. One has to build actual devices using available equipment. I started in high school building refrigerator systems, then moved up to 'vacuum systems' using said refrigerator parts. Then played with safe neon sign transformers. Building a fusor is very difficult and without experience, likely to prove impossible till the required experience is gained.
auburnkamstra

Post by auburnkamstra »

Dennis P Brown wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:00 am First, don't get discouraged - we all started off not knowing anything about vacuum devices/techniques or electrical issues, details on fusor systems and so on. Reading here is a good start but not going to enable you to build a real fusor or even a nearly complete demo. That is done by building parts of a demo systems and learning by doing. This is not unlike any math or physics course - until one does actual problem sets, one really never truly understands the material. One has to build actual devices using available equipment. I started in high school building refrigerator systems, then moved up to 'vacuum systems' using said refrigerator parts. Then played with safe neon sign transformers. Building a fusor is very difficult and without experience, likely to prove impossible till the required experience is gained.
Hi Dennis, I only started reading about fusion recently and my plan was to do exactly what you're suggesting. I'm wondering if you have any advice for which part of the fusor I should focus on understanding and learning about first. Thank you for taking the time to read this reply :)

-Auburn
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

I think the first thing you should learn, before delving too deep into the engineering of vacuum systems, radiation detection, high voltage, etc... is fundamentally how and why a fusor works. Start from the basics of fusion and study the different ways a fusor causes fusion (beam-beam, beam-gas, beam-target, etc.). If you haven't studied physics, a review of basic electricity and magnetism would do disproportionate good. Having a solid understanding of these concepts will help you make informed engineering decisions and avoid potentially costly mistakes. After that, there's really no best or correct order to learn about these things. Read all the FAQs, go down rabbit holes, and don't lose the curiosity that brought you here.

That said, there's nothing saying you can't learn those things and get started on hardware at the same time. I just wouldn't jump the gun on purchasing a chamber or HV supply or high vacuum pump. Something like building a Geiger counter or making a readout for an inexpensive vacuum transducer would be a great start, and would be directly applicable to building a fusor.
auburnkamstra

Post by auburnkamstra »

Thank you! I have some experience with physics but only theory so knowing what I need to refresh and look deeper into is super useful! Also the specifics of practical practice is awesome so I can do something with my hands while watching lectures and such. :)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Maybe get a neon sign transformer (NST), proper diodes, and create a small DC high voltage system for learning is a good first start. Easy and fairly safe (NST are generally safe even with the 5K to 10 K voltage output.) Maybe build a voltage divider to measure the voltage levels using a simple low voltage meter. Then maybe build a small scale (read as - use small value caps) voltage multiplier to double the voltage. These projects will help you learn about HV in a relatively safe (but can be painful if they arc over to you) manner.

These projects can be done at rather low cost and provide good experience.

Return to “New User Chat Area”