MIT Fusor Makerspace

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Kuba Anglin

MIT Fusor Makerspace

Post by Kuba Anglin »

It's been a while since I've visited fusor.net, and my life has certainly changed a lot since I joined the neutron club back in 2016.

In 2018, I paused my undergraduate studies to participate in research at MIT's Nuclear Science and Engineering department. In mid 2019 I started working at Commonwealth Fusion Systems / MIT PSFC until then end of 2020. Since then, I have resumed my BS in mechanical engineering at Northeastern University.

I am now headed back to MIT NSE to resume research and help facilitate the development of a fusor makerspace. The research entails the irradiation and transient grating spectroscopy measurement of selected metal hydrides as potential moderators for small modular reactors and fusion magnet shielding. I'll be working at MIT for seven months starting this June. I don't know many details about this makerspace right now, but I already have some ambitious plans provided the safety team is agreeable.

Here is an article from 2020 when the space was just created: https://news.mit.edu/2020/mit-fusor-wor ... space-0224
It seems they were able to set up a few demo fusors but had to suspend operation due to staff shortages.

Anyway, I will be sure to keep you guys updated on developments of this space. I'm currently assessing the logistics of shipping my 300+ lb reactor from California to Massachusetts.

Cheers,
Kuba
Andrew Seltzman

Re: MIT Fusor Makerspace

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Welcome back again. Happy to help out with the makerspace.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Kuba Anglin

Post by Kuba Anglin »

That sounds great, your expertise would be invaluable! I'll know more about this project in June and will be sure to tell Mike Short you are interested in helping. I have a feeling we've crossed paths at MIT a few times but never officially met. I look forward to seeing you in person!
Scott Moroch

Post by Scott Moroch »

Kuba,

It is great to see this post. I am now a physics grad student at MIT. I have talked to Mike Short about the makerspace - particularly about moving my fusor into the space. He seemed opened to it, but expressed there was no one to run the space full time (at the time I asked).

I am glad to hear, from the sound of it, that you will be in charge of the space. I would definitely be interested in being involved.

I am planning to move my fusor to MIT at some point. It would be great to keep it in the makerspace. I am also working on a number of other projects including a beam on target DC accelerator and a permanent magnet cyclotron. I am also involved with a group of grad students in the PSFC to develop a table-top tokamak for outreach purposes. This may also be of interest to you.

I sent you a message on FB messenger if you are interested in following up.

-Scott
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein
Kuba Anglin

Post by Kuba Anglin »

Hi Scott,

It would be fantastic to get you involved in the makerspace! This is such an amazing surprise to learn both you and Andrew are at MIT! Your project at the PSFC sounds really exciting!

At this point, you likely know more about the makerspace than I do. I will be sure to keep you updated when I start at MIT in 5 weeks. I will be splitting my time between research at the NSE and developing the makerspace. I'm sure Mike would love to have more fusioneers involved with this space.

I look forward to seeing you soon!
Kuba
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Cool to read about the Fusor finding its way to MIT.

I am curious about the "MIT Makerspace" so, of course, went to The Google:

https://makerworkshop.mit.edu

Looks like a cool facility, it's nice to think people like this in all the pictures would be thinking about fusion from a (n advanced?) DYI perspective.

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Some of these folks got their first taste of fusion here and are still posting on occasion. They went on to MIT. We have seen a lot of the best here during their younger years go on to many colleges of note. We are proud of our former youth who stuck it out to do fusion. It showed they had the "right stuff" and MIT demands the right stuff.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”