New (and last) deuterium tank

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Dennis P Brown

New (and last) deuterium tank

Post by Dennis P Brown »

My lecture bottle that has supplied me for many years (but rarely used) has finally been emptied. I am now going to use my spare tank for future work (a good bit larger tank, to say the least). I obtained these tanks (two different buys) when I had a 'company' (tax number & registered) and could buy these items. Times have changed, for sure.

I can honestly say, when this is exhausted, I will have to stop - obtaining deuterium is too difficult now and generating it, for me, is a bridge too far. Still, I expect this to last some years even with heavy use (I hope both events occur.) Currently doing a very 'advanced' leak test on the pumping - i.e. pressurized the lines, will now wait overnight, and see if the reading has fallen. Like I said, really advanced stuff ... lol.

Besides the upper tie wraps on the tank, behind it is a metal stand that the tank is tie wrapped to so it can't move.

Needless to say, the main valve to the tank is closed and I've watched it closely all today making certain there are no gross leaks - hydrogen can ruin your day if any ignition source occurs in a closed, unvented room. It is explosive in nearly all mix levels when in 20% oxygen.
Attachments
Tank & Regulator
Tank & Regulator
Matt_Gibson

Re: New (and last) deuterium tank

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Hi Dennis,

Could you take a few more pictures of how you have your tank, regulator, and connection to your chamber, setup?

I just got a matheson 3320 and a 50L bottle of deuterium on eBay, so I’m trying to wrap my head around what all I’ll need to swap/connect to make this work right.

Thanks!
Matt
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

No problem; I got the regulator (reverse threads for flammable gases) from a company that sells old gov surplus on Ebay many years ago. Hope these pictures help. If you have any specific questions, do ask.

Being an old regulator, my store of Swagelok didn't directly connect to the regulator (gender & thread type issue). So I had to use some standard plumbing brass fittings to adapt. I am sure Swagelok does have the proper single adapter (gender and threads) but wasn't going to try and figure it out; rather, just used what I had on hand.
Attachments
Reverse thread regulator connector
Reverse thread regulator connector
Regulator (For flammable gases)
Regulator (For flammable gases)
Coupling to the Regulator (Swagelok to teflon tubing)
Coupling to the Regulator (Swagelok to teflon tubing)
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Thanks Dennis. Are you letting the gas flow directly into your chamber, or do you fill something else along the way and then shut off the bottle?

Im thinking I’d fill my syringe and then transfer to the chamber, but would like an easier alternative that doesn’t allow air into the lines.

Also, I’m assuming that you monitor your bottle fill by the pressure on the high pressure side, right?

-Matt
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I use a leak control valve. I have some photo's. I have an aux. ground for the leak valve. And yes, once when it was free floating (long ago) it discharged against a ground rod I always check it with before touching. Somehow the plasma decided that was an acceptable path. So, now it is grounded for safety.

The high pressure gauge does tells me the tank pressure. Then the final gauge tells me the pressure to the leak valve. The simple Swage Lok valve is just a safety on/off for the tank. Also, enables me to pull vacuum on this feed line when the leak valve is fully open. Regulators might not do well under vacuum. But that is just guessing on my part.
Attachments
Tank connected to the leak valve
Tank connected to the leak valve
Leak valve connected to the chamber (base port)
Leak valve connected to the chamber (base port)
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Looks like I should be all set then. I’ll probably transfer to my syringe and then to my MFC a few times to make sure that I trust my pressure regulator (used on eBay) not to come apart on me and then just let it go directly to the MFC. This should be a nice upgrade from the fuel cell and deuterium oxide method. While it works, it’s iffy sometimes and I regularly get moisture into my syringe.

-Matt

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”