The forum move and changes are done!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

The forum move and changes are done!

Post by Frank Sanns »

After a long road, we have a new home! It is now located on its own server. Page loads should be much quicker and reliable.

There are some changes though.

Backups are now automatic and cover the near term as well as longer term. They now include the large folder of images.

Deleting of your posts has now been added to the Trading Post. There is a caveat though. It is that phpbb does not allow deletion once somebody posts after you. This is to preserve the thread integrity and prevent hanging response posts. Unfortunately, there is no way around this.

Most other sites do not delete Trading post items or wants. Items do not necessarily sell in a week or even a month. Some specialty items may still be for sale a year later. Our now eviscerated trading post only has seven entries for sale. There used to be all kinds of things even a year old. Sometimes new people come and are interested. Sometimes we have a new need. The Trading Post is now going to stand undeleted for the most part except for time sensitive items like eBay or other time sensitive offers.

Posts that do need to be deleted but have responses will have be deleted by one of us. I have to be honest that when I am scanning posts, I may not see a delete request in a long post or set of threads. For this reason, if a post needs to be deleted, please use the Report a Post icon on the post. This sends and email to us so we can take action.

No other deletions are now allowed on the forum. We have lost thousands to the unrecoverable trash. All posts now stand as a historical record. The only exception will be what was noted above as well as spam or other posts that violate the forum rules.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Re: The forum move and changes are done!

Post by Richard Hull »

I try and be assiduous in deleting old offers for sale based on the rules of the trading post. The rules were updated a bit late last year. I can still delete the tedious long strings of replies from helpful non-buyers. Sadly much data, is lot here. If you have data or a schematic, manual on something for sale or in the wanted section, put it in the references forum or in the forum where such schematics or manuals are relevant. Do not place these in the trading post as a helpful reply, they will ultimately be deleted along with the original , now outdated sales or wanted section post.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I don’t understand why schematics, manuals and other things get trashed. Either leave ‘em or move them to the proper forum. I really am not for deleting. There is no need. Sometimes things take a while to sell. Seven total listings is nothing. People just go elsewhere. Who cares if there are 100 pages. People look on the first few. The exception is eBay where it is all transient.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Frank makes good sense - as long as the item is available, the listing should remain

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”