Parts from Justin Fozzard

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Luca Aldridge

Parts from Justin Fozzard

Post by Luca Aldridge »

After the declination of funding from my school to build a fusor, I decided to go down he self-funded route. I was contacted by a lovely chap called Justin Fozzard and arranged to go down, about an hour drive to him. Attached are the parts I got in the boot of my car.
Parts in boot
Parts in boot

Although most are dirty and need servicing, I turned on the rotary vane pump and saw promise from a tissue blown off of the exhaust port and the hiss of air after I pulled off the HV cap.
Unfortunately one of the two diff pumps doesn’t have any innards in it but the other one did (An Edwards diffstak 63). I have attached a photo of that too.
Diff pump innard
Diff pump innard
I haven’t tested that at all yet because I have taken most of the attachments apart to remove the rust using steel wool as opposed to a wire brush.
Attached is the photos of the vacuum chamber and window I’ll be using. I’m told the window is very valuable as it’s quartz, so I got a bargain for that.
Chamber and window
Chamber and window
I also got a 25kV 14mA transformer. With a variac I can hopefully use it all the way up to neutrons.

Also, I have an Edwards Pirani Gauge, good from 1 atm to 1-^-3 mbar. I’ll take photos of these tomorrow.
And a throttle valve, various tees and a few other bits and bobs which I forgot to take photos of. I’ll update tomorrow

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Luca Aldridge
Joe Gayo

Re: Parts from Justin Fozzard

Post by Joe Gayo »

Good luck.
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Thanks. It’s a long road ahead but hopefully with the use of the forum I will be successful.
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Man! That is some messed up Christmas tree/jet stack! Someone let that puppy up to air with the boiler running full bore. What about the outer cylinder of the stack?? I have never seen a removable outer shell. How is it sealed? The norm is to have a fixed outer shell/boiler and a removable Christmas tree that lifts out of the main outer shell.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Hi Richard
It’s sealed with a cap and a bar above it as per diagram below
Diffstak 63 diagram
Diffstak 63 diagram
Below is a photo
cap photo
cap photo
I have no way to clean it so I need a new diff pump.
I’m now working on servicing my rotary pump and cleaning it. What oil should I use? (It’s and Edwards EDM6, its successor is the RV series).
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

A much better use of your time at this point. Get that mechanical fore pump working and you are on your way. Do you have a good electronic vacuum gauge to check it for working order?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

I know it’s working as I turned it on for a few seconds and put a tissue on the exhaust, which blew off and the flange cap I put on the inlet required some force to remove
I have an Edward’s Pirani gauge but I don’t have a power supply or voltmeter to read it, so I need to get those.
I’ll be able to get that on Amazon so I can check its vacuum quality.

Luca
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The worst and most injured of vacuum pumps will blow tissue off an exhaust port and the absolutely most worthless running pump will suck voraciously at the input port trying to give your hand a hickie!! These tests are an absolutely worthless indication of a real vacuum pump's function. A good TC gauge will tell the tale.

Richard Hull
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Richard,
Thanks for telling me - I’ve bought the power supply and voltmeter so hopefully I will have a result by the end of tomorrow. The wonders of amazon!
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

You should drain the vacuum pump and run some new vacuum oil, then drain again, and finally test. Give the pump a chance to perform with somewhat clean oil. When you say you need a voltmeter to read the Pirani then you do not have its calibrated meter display so I assume you have a chart of voltage vs. pressure?

I noticed you have two diffusion pumps - both are burned? Cleaning the stacks & interior might be possible - place the unit in a metal tray or chemical resistant tray and then use a small amount of acetone (outside in the open air - NEVER inside a room(!), use chemical resistant gloves & wear proper safety chem eyewear) and use a very fine steel wool pad wet with acetone to gently scrub the burned sections (do this only on the interior of the chamber and stack components but never on any of the vacuum sealing surfaces.) A small chemical resistant squeeze bottle can be used to hold the acetone and deliver the small amounts you need (these chemical bottle are available on ebay or amazon.) Allow to dry outside. Remember, acetone vapor is flammable around any ignition source and is absorbed through skin! An alcohol final rinse will remove any minor residue left by the gasoline.

Acetone might work and is fairly safe if you avoid breathing and skin contact. Acetone can be obtained at Home Depot (a paint thinner/cleaner.)
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Hi Dennis,
I will test it, just need to find some oil online.
Yes - I have a chart, just finished soldering the power supply up and will test it tomorrow.

Yes I have two - one is burned, the other has no innards. I might be going back to Justin on Saturday for one he has if it’s checked to be clean and working.
Thank you very much for the advice regarding cleaning it - I will buy the products and if all goes well, I’ll end up with two operational diffpumps. However, I think the easiest route will be getting the other diff pump and asking Justin to check it over before.
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Not found the oil yet but I got around to testing today.

With an input of 24V I got an out put of 0.2V at atmosphere (should be 10V)
When I turned on the pump with it attached the voltage went down to 0 and when I turned it back off, despite it being sealed and attached the reading went back up to 0.2V
I’m not sure but I expect this is an improper seal, however what confuses me are the readings. It should be 10v to start slowly going down to 5ish (pump rating) but goes from 0.2 to 0
Any help would be appreciated.
Luca Aldridge
russssellcrow

Post by russssellcrow »

Hey Luca,

Wow, Richard is right about the DiffPump, that thing lost vacuum (or the chiller) and cooked the oil. I think you can bead blast it clean, maybe even a pressure washer with the right detergent/solvent. I would try poly beads in a blaster, or good old Pinesol in a pressure wash before you write it off.

The Edwards Pirani goes from 10V (Sig+) = 1 Atmosphere, to 2V ~ 7.5x10E-6 Torr, so anything below 2V means something is wrong. Check your Power and Signal connections, if you got it bassackwards it's not the end; Edwards thoughtfully made Pin 8 a no connection, so you can't fry the electronics by building an RJ45 wrong.
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Wow - I forgot about this thread! I’ll post an update now.
Thanks for your advice, Russel, it’s what I got wrong - put wires on backwards.
Luca Aldridge
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

I tested this against my school’s vacuum gauge and here are my results - the gauge is as accurate as my school’s which should be industry standard. Below was my apparatus.
DB22FCEA-9A7B-4E8A-82C2-4122287A85BB.jpeg
It’s a good starting point.
Luca Aldridge
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Also, on a side note - the diffpump reaches 2*10^-1 mbar which isn’t adequate. I may be betting a whole vacuum rig this summer.
My aim is to have a working fusor by mid December and given a summer to work on it, do you guys think that’s a good aim?
Luca Aldridge
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As to your question, I feel it isn't a good idea; you don't even have a working vacuum system and chamber; I am doubtful that rushing to make a fusor is a good idea - there are many dangers involved with fusors and doing things in steps is the safest methodology. My opinion, of course.

The school gauge might or might not be accurate - good idea to show us the gauge/type and who is the mfg.

Besides a proper vacuum system (with appropriate gauging), you need a high voltage supply that has enough power along with the required cable, ballast resister, current and voltage gauges and depending on the supply, maybe other subsystems. Then a proper deuterium supply (either a tank w/regulators) or generation system and required feed system (i.e. leak valve.) Of course a neutron detection system of some type.

Finally, a proper chamber - i.e. a chamber with a window and proper HV feed-thru and vacuum/gas access ports.

This is a lot to do much less master without buying mostly off-the-self items.

Aside: what is that image of? Yes, a jar of some type filled with items (why?) but what is its purpose in this thread?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Dennis, We are always treated to near zero data or images of key items to be employed by the raw amateur. Good science demands the layout and reporting of all types of goods, gear and equipment that is used or planning to be used. In this manner we old boys can comment on the item or concept around its employment.

A plastic gumball machine packed with amorphous items is not a real exposition of a starting point for a scientific project.

Your are, as always right to question, in some depth, what is being used to achieve fusion by Christmas, as are we all who would just love to see what is to be used in this bold effort.

Richard Hull
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Luca, do not try to rush things. I can almost guarantee that you will not be fusing by December, but that is not a bad thing. I would go so far as to say that someone in your position shouldn't set such deadlines--they will come and go, and you will likely be disappointed. Take this advice from someone who realized these things, having started on this path in middle school in the hope of achieving fusion within a year or two. It just doesn't work that way. Accumulate parts when you can, and be patient for good deals on Ebay and other such sites. In the meantime, your best use of time is on smaller but related projects (e.g. the often-mentioned vacuum gauge interface) and on accumulating theoretical and experimental knowledge found here and in academia. The longer path is the more rewarding path.

For the diffusion pump, an overnight soak in strong detergent might go a long way.

Could you give us some details about how you tested the gauges? How accurate is "as accurate as my school's?" The details make all the difference.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Also, on your way to fusion, read a lot... an awful lot. After reading, do something to apply what you have read. You will usually find what you have read is "off a bit" for much of it applies to an idealized experiment and not a real world one. Make adjustments and move on in incremental steps.

Wisdom gained along with hands-on experience is far more valuable than attaining the goal of fusion. If you do fusion, that is that, but the wisdom and how to apply it will follow you all through life. A treasure far beyond money as you will be a "ready man", a man who can learn and do as such is demanded of you in future. You can be a confident man and not just a boastful man for your failures in doing the small things will cleanse you of boastfulness.

Richard Hull
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Hi again, Sorry it’s taken so long to respond. I’m caught up in revision for my exams next week.
Dennis, Although I don’t have a working vacuum system I do have a chamber - image at bottom.
I don’t have access to the school gauge at the moment but I’m assures my the technician its to within ±1%.
I have a window for my chamber, a chamber, a 25kV transformer and a shutoff valve. Then obviously the fore pump and broken diffpumps but I ahve an offer for a full system for £300.
I have a friend an hour away from me who has everything I need, so that’s not an issue as much as others may have.

That image of the jar has my Edwards gauge, batteries, a multimeter, and my school’s vacuum gauge to compare vacuum levels on my school’s pump.

Richard, Sorry for the lack of images. I’m more than happy to provide any requested.

Liam, you also advise me not to rush. I have taken this into account and will elaborate at the end. As said previously sourcing parts shouldn’t be much of an issue for me. The pump is apparently accurate to 1%.

Richard, Yes - I plan to. My aforementioned friend has an obscenely large library of plasma and fusion textbooks, at least to a middle schooler’s standards like me. I will read some of these and some PDFs he has sent me.

So, My reinvented plan is to achieve plasma by December. Not only will this be less stressful on my budget it allows more time and I don’t have to worry about the D2 system. I have up to six weeks this summer working on the fusor, if that’s not enough I will accept defeat. Is this a more attainable goal?
Below is a photo of the chamber and of the various bits and bobs I have. My window is at home as is the transformer, but you can see both at the start of the thread.
5452650B-849D-43EA-A9D2-2D4D6FC4CC25.jpeg
C7913563-1254-4832-8A27-751F178D18C4.jpeg
Also, If I come across as passive aggressive in any of these notes please disregard it. I am told I come off that way over text and emails. I mean no disrespect whatsoever and have so much to learn from this incredible community.
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

An interesting looking collection of items. It looks like a good deal of adaptation might be required to mate some of those components. All the best of luck, of course.

Richard Hull
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Yes, most seem fairly random in that foam box.
By the way, do you think the goal of plasma by December is more attainable?
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

I think that is attainable.

Those Edwards Speedivalves look dubious for vacuum use. I haven't seen that kind (nor that thread) and a quick search hasn't brought much enlightenment. Do you know anything about these?
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

I have the documentation for them. They are isolation valves but I wouldn't trust them. My setup will be too amateur for it anyway.
I'll try and find the paper for you and link it.
Luca Aldridge

Return to “New User Chat Area”