Restoring Missing Files

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Jon Rosenstiel

Restoring Missing Files

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

I just recently finished restoring my missing images and wanted to say that using thecoalmans’ script worked out quite well for the 50+ images I needed to restore.

What I found most useful were one, there is a link directly to the offending message, two, all image info available for super-easy copy/paste into your computer’s search-bar, and three, a large font for my tired old eyes.

After I’d rounded up all of my missing images I zipped the folder, put it in my Dropbox and sent the link to thecoalman. (You can also send the link to Frank)

Link to thecoalmans post: (Feb 16, 2022 8:09 am) viewtopic.php?p=94406#p94406

Copy of thecoalmans script: (Copy into internet search bar and replace XYZ with your user ID)
recover-files/missing-files.php?userid=XYZ

Come on ladies and gentleman, let's get this done!

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Re: Restoring Missing Files

Post by Richard Hull »

I, too, have been busy restoring images. I plod through them slowly. I have not had one single person approach me after telling all to let me know if you want any images restored. So I guess I am hitting the best of what I think matters of late. The FAQS should be all good now. With supposedly 700 missing images, I might have gone back to a point and reloaded maybe, 100, perhaps more. I really hope Finn will restore some of his most recent posting images of his "super system" assembly and operation.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

If anyone is interested in doing what Jon did I only need the files zipped. They can be zipped using any directory structure and you can include files you think may be attached to posts. e.g if you 10 files in folder and think a few of them may have been uploaded you can include all 10. You do not need to go picking through every file you think have that may have been uploaded here.

If you want to see what is missing put this in your browser:

Code: Select all

https://fusor.net/board/recover-files/missing-files.php?userid=xyz
XYZ needs to be your user id, hover over your name on any post to get your userid. It will look like this:

Code: Select all

https://fusor.net/board/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58
In this case the user id is 58.

Richard Hull wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:28 pm With supposedly 700 missing images, I might have gone back to a point and reloaded maybe, 100, perhaps more.
You are down to 494, you can check here recover-files/missing-files.php?userid=58

I have been secretly helping you along, If the attachment you upload is same file you attached to other post where it's missing I can attach it to the other post. After you wen through those FAQ I was able to attach 70 or more files to other posts.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks again for all your effors.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

That we are restoring files to a site about 'nuclear fusion' using a script supplied by 'the coalman' really appeals to my sense of cosmic irony.

Thanks to everybody for hanging in there, and for the restoration effort.

With the coalman's help, I am increasingly confident that nothing like what we're having to fix (again) will happen again.

#KnockWood and #Backups

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Thanks Coalman
I never knew my ID 408 what a special number
I see I have 34 files missing I'll start soon

regards
John
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Can we get an idea of how many of you need restore capabilities and for how long. There are only certain configurations possible for editing now. Either we stop editing for all so a few can edit or we allow everyone to edit for some short period like 24 hours.

Let’s see the response here so we can figure out how to configure the board. Time is a little of the essence because thecoalman is finishing up.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

I can't find many of the 80ish files that I still need to restore, some of them have to be recreated, and I don't have the time for it now.
When I have the files compiled, I will ask for editing rights for a brief period, if that will be possible then.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Frank
Most of my files are at work. I've just had a knee replacement op so i'm working from home--i'll see what I have here and start assembling a folder with all the filles when complete i'll get back to you. I suggest others do the same so that you can pm us as to "when" so not letting the cat out of the bag to all in sundry

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”