IECF Mark Ⅱ

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Sophie Yang

IECF Mark Ⅱ

Post by Sophie Yang »

The following post depicts IECF Mark Ⅱ as the secondary homemade fusor within past two month.

system:
Vacuum system:
A customized 250mm diameter spherical vacuum chamber with two CF100 ports,four CF63 ports and two CF35 ports.
The chamber is made of 316 stainless steel, heated to 1000℃ in vacuum furnace for degassing. chamber leak rate:1.5E-12mbarL/s.

4L/s vane pump Leybold TRIVAC C provides the backing pressure for the turbo pump and bring the chamber down to 2E-3Torr.
580L/s large turbo pump Edwards EXT555H to bring the background vacuum down to 5E-8Torr.

Edwards WRG full range gauge with DN35 conflat Flange is using for measure chamber pressure.
Edwards APGM pirani gauge is using for measure backing pressure.
These two vacuum gauges are controlled by Edwards TIC Instrument Controller.

Quadrupole mass spectrometer composed of  balzers QMA200 and QME200.
And a pfeiffer PKR251 full range gauge is using for measure total pressure.

Gas supply:
Compressed deuterium cylinder
Diaphragm valve Swagelok SS-4DL isolates High pressure and vacuum.

For this part we using a variable leak valve to adjust chamber's deuterium flow.Also a SS-4BMG is connected to chamber to adjust the maxium flow rate then connected to a SS-4BMRG as a isolation valve,such valve compoent is using for adjust the nitrogen purge gas.

High Voltage:
-30kv 30ma high voltage power supply

Neutron Detection:
General Electric RS-P4-0804-250 ³He detector with 60mm thick PE.
LND25169 ³He detector in SAIC Exploranium model GR-135ND-H portable radioisotope identifier (RIID).
An AMPTEK SCIONIX 3*3inch NaI:Tl (FWHM: 39kev@Cs137 661.6kev) and Amptek 8000A MCA is using for detect neutron activation spectrum to confirm neutron production.

First test:
During first test at a pressure range 5E-1~5E-4Torr,A seires of plasma models are captured under various pressures.The photo of different plasma are shown below.

The neutron producing test was at 5E-3Torr of deuterium and 30kV30mA on the high voltage power supply,a higher counts displayed on GR135ND-H.
Simultaneously, As such a neutron flux rate many materials can be activated significantly including indium.
IECF Mark Ⅱ
IECF Mark Ⅱ
Screenshot_20220309-214047_Gallery.jpg
myself
myself
background vacuum
background vacuum
Gas supply
Gas supply
Quadrupole mass spectrometer
Quadrupole mass spectrometer
Multi-Bugle Mode 5E-1Torr 30kv
Multi-Bugle Mode 5E-1Torr 30kv
Spray Jet Mode 1E-1Torr 30kv
Spray Jet Mode 1E-1Torr 30kv
Tight Jet Mode 5E-2Torr 30kv
Tight Jet Mode 5E-2Torr 30kv
Tight Jet Mode 5E-2Torr 10kv
Tight Jet Mode 5E-2Torr 10kv
Star Mode 5E-3Torr 30kv
Star Mode 5E-3Torr 30kv
Star Mode 5E-4Torr 30kv
Star Mode 5E-4Torr 30kv
chamber leak detection
chamber leak detection
PE Neutron moderator
PE Neutron moderator
PE Neutron moderator
PE Neutron moderator
Neutron Detection
Neutron Detection
gamma spectrometry
gamma spectrometry
In116m T1/2=54.29min
In116m T1/2=54.29min
Mn56 T1/2=2.5789h
Mn56 T1/2=2.5789h
Eu152m T1/2=9.3116h
Eu152m T1/2=9.3116h
Dennis P Brown

Re: IECF Mark Ⅱ

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Incredibly good results and effort! Excellent post.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Your fusor system appears professional. Might we assume you are being assisted and sponsored in some manner by a school, business or a very wealthy parent? I know that no one in this country has all the gear seen in your images. The work you present is very impressive. Tell us about your path to this level of achievement.

As you know, we like to have a well and long presented path by the person in their quest to do amateur fusion. We like postings of a beginning in the effort, and in addition some photographs along the way. See our general requirements for our successful "Neutron Club" applicants.

viewtopic.php?t=12423

Occasionally we have a person show up for the first time with a functioning fusor system. We are sad that we did not get to see the "struggle" to get the system assembled over time. This is always an important part of the journey for a person.

Parental guidance is often slow, and unless very financially well positioned, the effort usually fails. This is especially true for the very young.
Schools usually form groups of students or allow a very gifted student full access to the materials and instruments needed to do amateur fusion.
In some rare instances, a business or other private entity will fund a young person in their quest to do fusion.
Older people who have had a full working life or are currently working with good salaries tend to be the most successful at amateur fusion and tend to be able to start from scratch with some funds and a lifelong acquired set of skills needed to see the effort to conclusion.

We tend to think of a younger person as an amateur scientist. However, many older people who grew up as amateur scientist but lived their lives along other paths may never lose their scientific curiosity. Amateur science is not a realm for the young person only.

All of the above instances and people are accepted as true amateur fusioneers. The key thing is, regardless of funding or guidance in youth, did they initiate the quest? Did they start from scratch? Did they assemble the system? All of this relates to the assumed and demanded "struggle" of a young or older amateur scientist to do fusion and the story of their path to arrive at a goal that they set for themselves.

Again, tell us a bit about yourself. How did you come to start your effort? How long have you been working at your quest to do fusion?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

Considering to construct such a fusor is not difficult to me neither any other amateurs in China, it would be a pity that most of the Chinese amateur fusor projects are only posted on chinese forum instead of here.
As for me, by collecting parts and devices from second-hand sellers can be a fabulous way to save my fund without anyone's fincial support.
As a system with almost no hardware failure, it is a fluent procedure to build, experiment and obtain data, which often does not need to waste too much time on debugging. Therefore, I can complete my project before release this post. Nevertheless, I still record the assembly progress in detail.
Install turbo pump
Install turbo pump
Install Vacuum chamber
Install Vacuum chamber
Install backing Vacuum system
Install backing Vacuum system
Install Vacuum Gauge
Install Vacuum Gauge
Install CF viewport
Install CF viewport
Install Variable leak valve
Install Variable leak valve
However, this does not mean that my fusor production is going smoothly. The first experiment of IECF Mark Ⅰ, which was made in 2020, was not successful due to the serious leakage of 350mm large chamber.
With the first failure experience as a reference and one-year theoretical reserve, IECF Mark II was born.
IECF Mark Ⅰ
IECF Mark Ⅰ
IECF Mark Ⅰ
IECF Mark Ⅰ
Pfeiffer Hipace80 of IECF Mark Ⅰ
Pfeiffer Hipace80 of IECF Mark Ⅰ
test Hipace80 turbo pump
test Hipace80 turbo pump
Design a customized new chamber for IECF Mark Ⅱ
Design a customized new chamber for IECF Mark Ⅱ
Test new turbo pump
Test new turbo pump
It's a shame that I post this project only wishes to share my progress and fundamental construction, by announcing this achievement in a international way. I explored this tech that I proved myself by my way.
The word “young person” should not related to a person that needs to be helped, In fact such might be a stereotype that denied their struggle & value in a dramatic way.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Sophie,

I think there's a little bit of misunderstanding back and forth here. Maybe I can clarify. We're not using "young person" as a derogatory phrase, and we're not trying to downplay your success. On the contrary, you have a very nice system with lots of instrumentation, and it's clear you've put a lot of time and effort into designing a functioning system. It's rare to see a "young person" do all this on their own, but it seems like you have. As a "young person" myself, that is impressive.

In an attempt to condense Richard's post, we like to see a person's journey through construction for a few reasons. First, by documenting in detail what you're working on, others in the future can learn from your successes and mistakes. It adds to the wealth of knowledge already available here. Second, we can give you advice and make recommendations along the way. Third, it builds some trust both ways so that, when someone claims fusion, we have good reason to believe them. I'm sure there are several more reasons, but those are what come to mind. Is documenting from beginning to end, over the course of months or years absolutely necessary? No. It's just a nice addition. There is satisfaction in seeing someone overcome challenges.

Taking a look at your system, I have a few suggestions:

Add a throttle valve between your turbo and chamber to conserve deuterium. I would guess you're using >>10sccm of gas to keep the chamber pressure steady.

You probably want to add an elbow between your chamber and RGA (and gauges). Stray ions/electrons could cause problems. At the very least add a mesh screen, if you haven't yet.

At 30kV your viewport is going to be a dangerous source of x-rays, assuming it is not leaded glass. Do watch out and add some shielding.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Your post is of a superior quality and the images perfect in everyway. You are indeed blessed by providence that so much gear, equipment, and instrumentation have come your way to achieve this level of success and at this level of professionalism.

I meant no slur on "youth". It is just that 99.9% of all youth here who have actually done fusion at fusor.net or who even wish to attempt this, could never afford, or even hope to obtain or assemble even 10% of what you have in your system. Please pardon our amazement and even skepticism over what you have presented before us.

Those of us here who are older and who have had long professional careers in science and engineering, having acquired a vast retinue of "hands-on" skills over our many years, and even some suitable amount of disposable income, could never afford to outfit ourselves to the virtual laboratory research grade gear that we see in your system.

Please continue to contribute as your effort continues. I am sure we are all quite impressed with your fusor system.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Hi Sohpie,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successes.

Thank you for posting such informative photos. It shows that all components were well thought out.

I know that the educational systems can be quite different in different countries. It would be informative to many of us to know how you and so many others acquire so advanced knowledge of both the theory as well as the actual physical components to do fusion. As you know we have many people trying to achieve what you have done so your input might help them.

Also, please invite others that have had success or attempts to build a fusor to our site. I think it would be a good exchange.

We look forward to more of your posts.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Another example of an excellent effort from an individual in China ... https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5445973284?pn=4

Joe
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

Thank you all for your kind responses and congratulation.At the same time, I also hope that fusor.net  will become more and more influential in the world, and more amateur from other countries will share their experiences and achievements here.
In addition, I will continue to share my achievements.
Sb122 T1/2=2.7238d
Sb122 T1/2=2.7238d
I128 T1/2=24.99min
I128 T1/2=24.99min
Cu64 T1/2=12.701h (Annihilation Radiation)
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I went to Joe's recommended URL.

Now that is real demonstrated "hands-on" effort. What we like to see in a build. the stuff is polished like Joe Zambelli's original 2001 effort. Is that chrome plating?... or... Just good old polished SS?? Stunning eye candy for sure.

Richard Hull
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

The author of this post uses 205mm mirror polished 304 steel hemispheres, which are welded with CF200 Flange to form a spherical vacuum chamber.
A stainless steel hemisphere can be purchased at aliexpress within a affordable cheap price less than 100USD.
My IECF Mark I also adopts the same design. I choose two 350mm polished 304 steel hemispheres to be welded with two CF350 flanges to form a spherical chamber.
However, in the process of vacuum pumping, I found a serious outgassing in this untreated inferior material, especially the inner surface polished with wax. Besides, unprofessional welding will also lead to joint leakage. That is why electrolytic polishing and external surface sandblasting are widely used in custom ultra-high vacuum chamber.
Stainless steel hemisphere with Flange
Stainless steel hemisphere with Flange
CF port
CF port
welding
welding
20200927_155108_mh1601193142320.jpg
install
install
install
install
UHV chamber of IECF Mark Ⅱ
UHV chamber of IECF Mark Ⅱ
inside
inside
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Beautiful and reduced outgassing at pump down.

Richard Hull
Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher »

Sophie,

Your fusor is constructed with parts and equipment that rival many well funded research institutions. Congratulations on your achievements and thanks for sharing.

Now that you have generated neutrons, and done some activation experiments, do you have any specific plans for your fusor? Also, did your fusor building journey spark a passion to pursue physics or nuclear engineer as an educational or career path?

I’m looking forward to follow your continued work and future posts on fusor.net.

Bruce
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

VERY nice setup. My guess on the price tag given that it is all brand new, would be about $200,000 plus or minus $50,000. And I very well may be underestimating the cost by a factor of 2.

If teenage amateurs in China can drop 200 grand on a system without any financial support, well then maybe its time to move to China. :-)

Joe.
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

Sophie -

In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging people or institutions who helped you build your system. It won't prevent you from being accepted in the neutron club. There have been many teenagers and young adults who were helped by their parents or other people in their quest for fusion, and every single one of them who made neutrons in a properly documented way, was added to the neutron club. Whether or not they had help, financial or otherwise, from others.

Even professional researchers typically acknowledge in the papers they publish, who funded their research. Why? Because its the right thing to do, and because it usually makes their benefactors happy.

Your work is obviously extremely well funded. Acknowledging the source of that funding, especially if it is your family, is the right thing to do, as it gives them credit for enabling you to do what you have done. It certainly won't prevent your work from being acknowledged here.

Joe.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I saw not one piece of crusty old e-bay material in the system. This system was not a hunter-gatherer, scrounged together system.
Everything in sight is "top drawer", "Don't spare the steeds", "Go at it full bore".... new!

Balzers RGA $5000+
Edwards wide range gauge +controlleer $2000
Medium Turbo $10,000
saphire precision leak $1000
Gama spec - older
plumbing and chamber $5000 if chamber is shopped out.
power supply $5000
Mechanical pump $1000
Insulator very good $1500

$30,500 for just a cursory glance. probably missed a bit.

I think $50,000 from scratch would build this system. Still......

Richard Hull
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

Seems everyone thinks I'm a teenager,it is common that most EU & US peoples could not distinguish the right age from that photo and that is a misunderstood. As for me,a college student in actual not really need finicial supports from someone else.
I could make a profit on my own by using my professional knowledge. Me,also involved in exchanging second hand device to make money.
There could still be somekind of misunderstand on the price of recycled goods,In China almost no one using ebay hunting for cheap instruments and the price is much cheaper than ebay.
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

Those money are totally legal and tax have been paid,but still it might be considered as offensive to judging my personal financial status.
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

As I mentioned above,if someone still insists that I must needs help,that IS a deny of my work cause a part of my struggle was claimed by some supporter that even non exists,as a result,that part of my work disappeared.

For some custom parts I draw schematics and delivered to the factory for further production, that should be a deal, not a help cause I purchased somekind of service.

As for theoretical supports,I have to thanks the fusor.net cause the knowledge and experience I got helped me achieves this experiment.

It is much more important that theoretical support vital than financial support,without money you could simplify device to do that experiment,but without knowledge you will only wasting money.

With full knowledge and full money,using my knowledges to distribute money into necessarily parts,that is my way to make a excellent fusor device but still I would not say that's the best cause in future maybe someone inspired from my construction to make a better one.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Guys, I think Sophie's made her point well enough. It's clear that she's gotten here through her own merits. I think the cultural and language differences are making misunderstandings more likely, although there are some accusatory undertones. I think there's also some bad habit in lumping everyone who seems under.... 25, say, into the "teenager" category. The influx of <15-year-olds we once had has generated somewhat of a stereotype. These days it seems we get equal fluxes of youngsters and old hands who show up and quickly disappear. Just my perception of things, having now been here over 8 years since I was 14.

Sophie, you are completely correct: having custom parts made does not in any way invalidate your achievement. It's something that I and many others have done. I'm curious if you could point me to some of the places you obtained your equipment. While most of us who are not in China would have to contend with longer lead/shipping times, having sources that are less expensive than eBay is certainly appealing. It looks like you can get quite nice stuff.
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

I would appreciate that Liam made a good point and that's what I trying to explain.

There's similar websites in china just like ebay, most parts are from recycling facilities, the seller collects instruments from such facilities and sold them online.I have the contact with those sellers to get good resources.

But due to Chinese gov network regulations,some websites are restricted of global IP address users.

So it would be a pity that I cannot share more cheaper stuff with you guys,just like Aliexpress,a international website from taobao,however taobao also resitricts international IP.
Sophie Yang

Post by Sophie Yang »

In today's background vacuum pumping experiment, I turned on RGA. And my system can enter - 7Torr in 10 minutes and - 8Torr in three hours without bakeout.

Of course, this is normal for the high pumping speed turbo pump. For example, when I close the sapphire leakage valve, my system can recover from working pressure to -7Torr background pressure in only a few seconds. On the other hand, it also means that I need more deuterium gas, but deuterium is abundant and cheap in China(300USD/200L)

For an unbaked vacuum system, the main residual gas is H2O absorbed on the chamber surface, which Balzers qms200 was shown. Baking will solve this problem.
Then, a small amount of deuterium gas filled into the system with sapphire leakage valve. As you can see, 4amu peak rises.

Next, I will turn down the voltage of the ion source and turn on qms200 for analysis when fusor is started. As Liam suggested, I will modify my system and add a bend between the chamber and RGA.
switch on balzers QMS200 Filament
switch on balzers QMS200 Filament
tune up
tune up
measured total pressure using PKR251 connected with QMS200
measured total pressure using PKR251 connected with QMS200
background Vacuum
background Vacuum
Filling deuterium gas
Filling deuterium gas
Filling deuterium gas
Filling deuterium gas
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We certainly respect results from any and all experiment. Fusion and experiment with it is the goal regardless of how little or how much it costs to get there and do the work.

Richard Hull
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Sophie Yang wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:20 pm Thank you all for your kind responses and congratulation.At the same time, I also hope that fusor.net  will become more and more influential in the world, and more amateur from other countries will share their experiences and achievements here.
In addition, I will continue to share my achievements.
That’s what we all hope for, Sophie - for fusor.net to have a real impact on the world and grow a body of knowledge in a valuable realm of science. Some of us have not given up the possibility that all this study and knowledge will lead to something…. Well… useful.

Your fusor looks fabulous, however it came to be. Like the others above, I’d like to hear more about what what into the design and construction, and maybe some more about the first project and why it didn’t work, as well.

As for “young person”.. please. That’s your greatest asset. ‘Young’ people know what ‘can’t be done’ - so there is nothing to stop them from doing it. Some day that advantage will lead to a breakthrough.

-P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."

Return to “Images du Jour”