Notification System Fixed

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
thecoalman

Notification System Fixed

Post by thecoalman »

I fixed a small issue that was preventing notifications from working properly. This didn't work in the past? Here is brief overview of how it works.

When you go to post a new topic or reply to one, below the posting pane is the option "Notify me when a reply is posted". This may or may not be checked depending the settings in your User Control Panel. When this box is checked it subscribes you to the topic when you submit. The default behavior of this can be changed here:

ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post

Change "Notify me upon replies by default:" to yes or no.

The type of notifications(email/board notification) and what you get them for can be changed here:

ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options

As far as the email notification you will receive one email when someone replies to a topic you have subscribed too, subsequent replies will not produce a notification. Once you visit the topic this will be reset and you will get another notification when there is a new reply. Note that these emails may currently be going into your spam box but that will be fixed in short time.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: Notification System Fixed

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

That's great, Scott. Thanks.

I'd noticed that those notification are suddenly showing up in my email, also in the 'Notifications' link at the top of the page when I return to the site.

Now, if I could just get friggin' Apple Mail to stop sending those notifications to my junk mail folder. I've even gone so far as to create an actual contact with that email address, and it still dumps 'em in Junk.

I know, I used to work for Apple, I should be be to figure that one out... but... no...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

There may be a way to whitelist it but the root cause is multiple issues. The most important things listed on the following link are going to be the ones under authentication. Also the IP is listed on a blacklist. You are lucky it's being delivered at all and it's probably not for some people registering.

https://www.mail-tester.com/test-4zs9588fr

Note the email used for that test was the one to activate a registration here. The lack of SPF record alone will usually send it to the spam box. The IP block is one of the dangers with shared hosting. If there is 1000 customers on a single server and one of them gets the IP on a list everyone gets blocked. It's pointless to address these problems on GoDaddy and most if not all of them will go away with the move.

Here is test from my forum's activation email. :)

https://www.mail-tester.com/test-dglu9a2n0
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Emails should not be going to spam box anymore, if they are let me know.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

The notification I just got for this one... yeah, went in to junk. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will try adding 'forum@..." to my address book, that's supposed to treat anything so deemed as 'not junk'. But this is one aspect of the Apple Mail app I've never been able to figure out otherwise.

--P
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I have
My junk
Filter
Turned
Off
And it still goes to junk.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Paul_Schatzkin wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:27 am I will try adding 'forum@..." to my address book, that's supposed to treat anything so deemed as 'not junk'.
If you do that then I won't know if it's still going to junk. You shouldn't have to do this so bear with me.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

thecoalman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:02 am
Paul_Schatzkin wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:27 am I will try adding 'forum@..." to my address book, that's supposed to treat anything so deemed as 'not junk'.
If you do that then I won't know if it's still going to junk. You shouldn't have to do this so bear with me.
OK, I've removed the record from my Address book. Keep me posted.

--P

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”