Editing Privileges to Restore Your Photos

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Editing Privileges to Restore Your Photos

Post by Frank Sanns »

The photos that can be restored are now restored. If they are not there, the original poster can now replace them.

Editing of posts is now enabled for Joe, Andrew, Finn, Steven, Rex, Bob, Jon, John, and a few others.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Re: Editing Privileges to Restore Your Photos

Post by Richard Hull »

Great news regarding our ability to repair freely now. Sad news is there is a slow road to any repair we wish to do.

My first task is to repair all the FAQ images that I can which are mine. I have already done a 100% repair of the construction, vacuum and electronics forums. The huge task is the neutron and radiation forum which will take days. Once all the FAQs are straight I will attack other large picture postings of the past that I have posted that I feel are important.

Images are forever worth a thousand words and teach and inform in a special way.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Frank,
I think I lost my editing privileges somewhere in the recent restores. I suspect the same is true for the others in the list you mentioned.

Looking in my user control panel, under 'Group Memberships'
I see I'm a member of 'Registered Users' which I think is the default for members.

I see a section: 'NON-MEMBERSHIPS' which contains
Senior Users

The Senior Users group is, I think, what gave some of us editing privileges. When I was a member and could edit, my name was a different color (green ?) in post pages I made and etc. I don't see any way I can activate Senior Users membership myself. I think that has to be requested at a higher level.

Probably all of the people who were active in Senior Users group have lost their active membership recently.
Rex Allers
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Same here, my name is no longer in green, indicating global editing rights, but a quick glance seems to show all my photos are currently intact.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Bob,

I also am in a userID section that hasn't seen any missing attachments in my posts.

I think we all have the ability to edit our own posts. I just looked at one of my own old posts and, though I didn't actually try, it looked like I could have uploaded a new attachment file.

The special edit privileges, I think, allowed those of us in that group to edit anyone's posts. Helpful if I happened to have a copy saved locally of someone else's message that had a missing attachment that I happened to save. Probably not very common, but I did edit one such message back after the site move induced problems and I was assigned this edit ability.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I just tried to restore my images and that editing feature is currently working again.....Wonderful!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Presently, editing rights are limited to only your own posts. If there is a need to edit something else we can revisit the issue. For now with all of the complications of the site at the moment, it is prudent to limit the changes going on across users.

When I implemented colors for different user groups on the site, my first goal was to identify the newest people so it was easier to spot a neophyte from a seasoned user. They could be quickly identified and proctored appropriately.

Next was the recognition of Richard as the Moderator Extrodinaire.

I think that was it for the colors until it was clear that Paul needed a stand out color so people knew he was the owner.

My user red color evolved a little later when I was trying to urge a couple new members to adjust their ways and my words were falling upon deaf ears. I guess when you are the sheriff but are in shorts and a baseball cap, people don't take you as serious as when you are in uniform and waving a red flag in their faces. It also helps to standout from the noise when there is an important forum announcement.

As for Senior Users or whatever category people may want, I have no problem forming a group that gets extra recognition for the time and/or efforts on the site. Let me know what you all would prefer and I will configure things to make it happen.
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank,

Joe has a posting area strictly for e-bay finds in the "for sale area". He needs Senior rights for sure so he can erase old stuff and jib-jab posts. He is supposed to manage this little post area,ONLY. Joe seems to find cool stuff offered on e-bay and posts it here. It would be nice to allow him to keep it clean. If he doesn't, then there is little need for a multipage e-bay listing of old stuff and Jib-jab there.

The hope is that senior users with post erasure privileges will not abuse same. I have had this privilege for years as moderator and am very careful how I swing the axe. I use respect for others as my watch word, but swift and certain axing via erasure for advertisement, gross off topic postings and sheer idiocy.

As for assignment of other senior users, this is your call.

Richard
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I am aware of Joe's need and have been pondering it. When the Trading Post was initially setup, the plan was to allow everybody to have editing and deleting privileges there. Unfortunately, phpbb does not give that option. Thecoalman and I had that discussion too. Just no way to configure. Still working on it though.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

You misunderstood me Frank and that is not surprising. The permissions in phpBB can be very daunting and difficult to explain. Overall it's probably the biggest complaint since 2007 at least as far as the ACP goes, however these permissions are granular and I'm not sure if there is better way to do this without removing flexibility.

If you look in the posting tab >> post setting links on left. There is two options here for time limit on editing and deleting a post. The way this is usually setup is perhaps a 1 day edit time limit and 5 minutes to delete a post. This is to allow for fixing typos etc, Editing of topics is set on per forum basis so you would set the role used for registered user group to yes. When this time limit is up they can no longer edit or delete despite the yes permission. This does not affect moderators editing permissions.

Unfortunately this time limit is global setting and probably the one permissions that has no flexibility, Whatever this is set to applies to every regular group. In your case since you want only a specific group unlimited editing of their own posts you have no option but to set this set this time limit to 0 which it already is.

You are not consistently using roles for forum permissions. In the ACP >> permissions tab >> "Forum roles" link on left. For example the usual role for registered users is "standard access plus polls", edit the role so it's set to no editing.

Edit or create another role with the edit permissions set to yes.

ACP >> permissions tab >> "Forum permission" link on left.

Check the box all forums and click submit, On the right under the manage groups heading highlight first group in the list by clicking it, scroll to bottom group and while holding shift select the last one. They should all be highlighted, hit the edit permissions button.

This is overview of every forum and the role assigned to each group. If there is no role assigned to a group assign one. If none of the roles fit your needs edit or create one, For registered users group you give the role with no edit permissions. For trusted users group you give them role with edit permissions. For special cases like your classifieds you can set the registered user group to role with edit permissions. In fact you can use role that ahs can lock topic or delete topic. If you want to change permissions edit the role and it's global change wherever the role is used.

These are user permissions, they are not moderator permissions. Moderator permissions are global as long as they have access to the forum.

Last but not least on the bottom left of permissions pages is permission masks which can help you identify what permission are applied to what groups and where they are applied.

Permissions:

No - Members can belong to multiple groups, No is overridden by a yes in another group the user belongs to.
Yes - Grants permission.
Never - is always never. Newly register users for example belong to the Registered user group. Using role with never permissions overrides their yes permissions.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”