A guide to DIY pulse forming networks

This area is for ADVANCED theory and discussions only. If you just joined fusor.net, chances are this is NOT the area for you to be posting.
RobertMendelsohn

A guide to DIY pulse forming networks

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Hi everyone,

I recently had to build a pulse forming network for a metal vapor vacuum arc plasma source, and I had to do a deep dive in order to figure out how to make a workable one. I wrote up what I learned about the theory and practical side of building pulse forming networks, and I wanted to share a link to it here in case others are interested. I didn't see any good amateur or DIY guides to PFNs, but they are an important part of HV or pulsed power applications, so I thought I would save others the trouble and write it up.

We've all spent a lot of time looking at rows of data about different parts, so I wrote a script to download data from Digikey and just brute-force the problem; why not make the computer do the heavy lifting? Then print out a report telling me what the cheapest option is, given a necessary standard of performance...

If you're interested, here's the link: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2204110
It is a live cloud-powered interactive notebook, and you can copy and download the code. I'm happy to help answer any questions or otherwise help people in need of a pulse forming network or cost-effective capacitor banks.

Here's a photo of one of the larger capacitors, for fun:
IMG_9635.jpg
Sincerely,

Robert
Justin Fozzard

Re: A guide to DIY pulse forming networks

Post by Justin Fozzard »

Thanks for the link to your simulations, Robert, it's an excellent and very useful resource.

Here is a link to the standard textbook on the subject from the Radiation Laboratory Series, "Pulse Generators" by Glasoe and Lebacqz, and also few useful papers:

http://www.nj7p.org/Manuals/PDFs/Books/ ... rators.pdf

Sprott 1985 Protection of large capacitor banks.pdf
(418.64 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
RobertMendelsohn

Re: A guide to DIY pulse forming networks

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Thanks Justin. And thank you for adding your links. Hopefully this thread will be a useful resource for those looking to make PFNs for any number of applications.

Return to “Advanced Technical Discussion Area”