3D Electric Potential

This area is for ADVANCED theory and discussions only. If you just joined fusor.net, chances are this is NOT the area for you to be posting.
Nicolas Krause

3D Electric Potential

Post by Nicolas Krause »

Rather than continuing my previous post on a python simulation I felt it best to break out a new thread with some of the additional work I've been doing on the computer over the holidays. I've chosen to start the next aspect of my simulation project by picking up a new programming language again. It's called Julia and is meant for high performance scientific computing along with ease of use. It's been in development for over a decade and has a lot of very nice mature features at this point. I'm still a beginner with the language, but so far I'm very much enjoying it. The project for the winter break has been to calculate and visualize a 3d electric potential. I'm happy to say that aside for some small issues I've mostly accomplished that goal. The image below is of a level potential surface around a ring of charged wire. Currently for some reason it's only plotting half the shape, but the symmetry of the potential is evident. I can post the code in its current form if people are interested but it needs some cleanup and work. In general the program works as follows. I integrate the electric potential over a parametrization of the fusor grid. The calculated data is then fed to a marching cubes algorithm so that a surface at a specific voltage level can be visualised. That generates the image below.
Capture.PNG
Justin Fozzard

Re: 3D Electric Potential

Post by Justin Fozzard »

Thanks for sharing your simulations Nicolas, they are very interesting and I admire your continuing efforts.

I have attached a pdf copy of notes from an introductory plasma physics course that used Mathcad for various simulations and I hope it will be of some use to you.
It contains some hints for computing particle orbits in various electromagnetic configurations and I've used them many times in my own simulations.

Physics 4150 Mathcad PDFs_compressed (2).pdf
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 471 times
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

Thanks Justin! I've downloaded it and will take a look! I'm hoping to apply some of the techniques I learned in my intermediate ODE's course this fall about analyzing singularities in vector fields to get a better idea of particle behaviour. I've started with the simplest grid shape here, but I have plans to try some more complicated ones!
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

I've got a 3d scatter plot working now! I'm unsure if I'll be able to generate a mesh as I'm running into a bunch of trouble, and the scatter plot looks quite nice as it is.
Capture.PNG

Return to “Advanced Technical Discussion Area”