Transition to Beam on Target

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Mark Rowley

Transition to Beam on Target

Post by Mark Rowley »

Following the recent discussion about wall loading, the previous interest of building a beam-on-target system has picked up steam. Additionally, building ion guns has been on the conceptual back burner for quite some time as well. Richards recent post about these devices only served to amplify the interest.

So as of today I’m going to mothball Fusor 2020 and proceed with a beam-on-target system. It’s important to highlight “mothball” as I’m not going to discard the fusor. Undoubtedly it will be fired up again in the future. However, the supporting infrastructure (vacuum system, HV supply, metering, gas handling, etc) will be needed for the new project.

Richard, since a BOT system is mostly all ion gun, I’m thinking this will be the most applicable forum to detail its construction. However, “other forms of fusion” could be applicable as well. Thoughts?

Regarding the older Columbus-1 pinch tube project, that too will remain in a holding pattern. Mostly because it mandates the purchase of another pair of BTI dosimeters and I feel $500 is better spent on the design of an ion gun system, at least right now.

Looking forward to the new build which will start after a few domestic honey-do’s are complete.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Re: Transition to Beam on Target

Post by Richard Hull »

Mark, Smart move. I, too, have been thinking about BOT as an intermediate fusion system and as test bed for ion guns. Such a simple system should be real cheap and easy for a person with a good vacuum junk box.
While this fusor site was first formed around the Farnsworth fusor, with emphasis on the simplified Hirsch-Meeks fusor design, any fusion system operated by an amateur is of great interest.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Playing with blocks, this essentially what I’m thinking. I’ll hollow out the 4x4” cube in the same fashion as Jon’s cube fusor. That way I’ll have 6 ports and the ability to water cool the target area.

511C4849-CAA8-4E10-99B5-89E5D8CF9733.jpeg

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice pile o' blocks. Good luck.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”