Books

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Peter Schmelcher

Books

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

Two books that are worth a look:

High Voltage Engineering Practice and Theory
This is a text book circa 2000 130pages with graphs and pictures. I downloaded a draft version. Starts with a historical introduction and moves on to practical equations, tables, graphs etc. In an example problem calculus was suggested as a solution method along with guessing, so no heavy math.

VACUUM SEALING TECHNIQUES Roth
Very serious reference book circa 1966 850pages. I downloaded a hardcover scanned version but I see some used paperback versions for $30. This is a comprehensive overview of vacuum systems for researchers with lots of citations to published work should you need to go deeper to solve a problem. A wealth of practical information.
Some interesting book bits, Torr Seal (also known as Hysol 1C) epoxy is good to 1x10exp-10 Torr but with a upper service temperature of 100C (got the T-shirt) and some cyanoacrylates are also ok. Liquid vacuum seals are a real thing and it’s not just a tall mercury column, they use the surface tension of a thin film of oil or liquid metal.

-Peter

Return to “Books & References”