Quaid Hawkins - Plasma and Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Quaid Hawkins

Quaid Hawkins - Plasma and Progress

Post by Quaid Hawkins » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Update as of June 28/2020

Hey everyone, thought I'd show off some of my progress and a few plasma pictures.

Chamber and Vacuum
The chamber is the common 6-way 2.75" conflat cross.
My vacuum system I have an Edwards E2M2 backing an ext75dx turbo pump, and measurements made with a Hastings thermocouple gauge. After lots of cleaning I was able to pull down to 20 micron with just the roughing pump, and will hook up the turbo in the next week or so.

Power Supply
Right now I'm using a 5kv NST for demo while I work on the vacuum portions. I occasionally hook up the 30kV precipitator power supply but haven't been able to get more than 4kv out of it when running it with the fusor, but with test loads it's fine.

Neutron Detection
I'm using a CHM-12 proportional tube (from the GS-neutron) and have gotten expected background counts.

Deuterium
I do not have a deuterium system yet, but I'm either going to go with the PEM cell syringe method or try and work with my university and get a lecture bottle (but that's proving a bit difficult right now haha).

I'm a way off from the neutron producing fusor, but I hope that if I've made it this far a should be able to go the rest of the way. After I hook up the turbo I'll work more intensely on the power supply.

Cheers,
Quaid

plasma75micron.jpg
Plasma at 3.8kV with pressure of ~50 micron.

chamber and plasma.jpg
Conflat chamber - plasma looks much more blue than it does in person

Helium.jpg
Attached a helium balloon to my gas inlet for fun, this was the result.
"Get to the reactor!"

Mark Rowley

Re: Quaid Hawkins - Plasma and Progress

Post by Mark Rowley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 pm

Excellent work!!

"I occasionally hook up the 30kV precipitator power supply but haven't been able to get more than 4kv out of it when running it with the fusor, but with test loads it's fine."

Sounds like your trying to run it with too high of pressure. Once you obtain 40mTorr and below you should have no problem obtaining the higher voltages.

Mark Rowley