Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
caden_Burkhardt

Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Post by caden_Burkhardt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:09 pm

I started my research on this site on November 21, 2019 after watching Jamie Edwards's TEDx talk three days prior. I had no idea how far down this rabbit hole would take me and still have no idea how much farther it goes. Over the next couple of months, I scoured the FAQ's and began the look for parts. my father informed me that he had an old Robinar 15600 at work that I could borrow and I began to snatch up, fix and sell "broken" lawnmowers for funds toward other parts. 6/16/20 my dad brought the pump from work-(COVID-19 had stopped him from doing so previously). The following day I bought my first group of parts from LDS, a 2.75 4-way cross, 2 blanks, a viewport, and a 2.75 to Swagelok 1/4 flange.
IMG_0072.jpg
6/19/20- after a couple of days trying to find the right fittings for the pump we decided to power it up and see what would happen, as well as to familiarize myself with how to operate it. the handle was broken but the wiring seemed intact so we plugged it in and turned it on. we were met with a faint whirring sound, and it was clear that the motor wasn't firing up. we went through the wiring to make sure that it was all good but to no avail. we disassembled the pump motor and it became clear that something was wrong with the capacitor. "no plan survives first contact with implementation"
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg
6/20/20- got new that parts would be delivered the following Wednesday(6/24) and through Facebook marketplace, found a Yellowjacket super evac 93560 pump in good condition for $120.

6/22/20- picked the pump up
IMG_0071.jpg
I plan on doing a bunch of vacuum experiments with my new pump once my parts have arrived and I have assembled the main chamber. I'll make sure to send pictures of that once the parts have arived

If this qualifies me for the Scroungers Club I would appreciate being added. :)

Dennis P Brown

Re: Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Post by Dennis P Brown » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Good work. One essential item that goes with any vacuum pump is a micron reading gauge (0 to 1000 or similar range.) Many approches and methods as well as prices. But without this type of gauge, any pump is a complete unknown. Just don't get anything that measures by analog in inches of Hg. Torr measurement can be useful but a fusor pump must get below 50 microns if you desire a diffusion pump (when obtained later.)

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:45 am

My first really great pump was a 5CFM yellow jacket. Since then I have gone to the quiet belt drive slow winding types.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

caden_Burkhardt

Post by caden_Burkhardt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:53 pm

6/23/20- tested the pump, it works,
6/24/20- parts came in
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Excellent start; by the way, on E-bay one can get many rather inexpensive parts - both new and especially used. I prefer KF couplings since they are reusable, a lot are available surplus (cheap) and these are good down to 10^-6 torr. Copper is superior in high vac and rarely causes the problems that KF can relative to micro-leaks due to surface scratches. Most of us can sand and buff those out but it is added work when it occurs. But the big down side to copper is the coupling's copper gasket needs replacement after just a few uses - these are not cheap.

You can now aim for the plasma club; any cheap neon sign grade transformer or converted low current high voltage (HV) surplus units on e-bay can be obtained cheaply. A true x-ray transformer is both hard to find, expensive and must be the correct polarity; also, extremly lethal. Ditto on lethal for old microwave transformers - these items are best used after a lot of experience with safer, low current transformers are used to gain knowledge with HV circuits and experience building various types of power supplies.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated on your efforts. I especially like the photo of you proudly showing your purchases. So few folks post images of themselves with their work. It is nice to link a face with a project. All the best with you effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

caden_Burkhardt

Post by caden_Burkhardt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

6/24/20- continued.

I went downstairs to begin assembling. my dad showed me how to use a torque wrench, and I put the two blanks on the two nonrotatable ends of the cross (torqued to 5ft/lbs)

When I went to attach the viewport, I noticed that the rotatable flange was jammed :(
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
6/25/20- tapped the rotatable flange with a rubber mallet and finished assembling the cross. connected to my vacuum pump with Swagelok fittings and did a rudimentary test of my vacuum pump using the built-in gauge to see if it works. it did
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0096.PNG