HEAS 2020 the 31st year ????

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

HEAS 2020 the 31st year ????

Post by Richard Hull » Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 am

It is way too early, but I am seriously considering holding HEAS this year, but will wait a bit before opening up the invitations. We have been holding the monthly HEAS meetings in my side yard (fleamarket area) in the sunlight with social distancing in chairs. Folks bring their own personal drink and munchies. I have a demo table with electricity out in the yard for show and tells. It has worked out well with no infections.

I feel that much of this current state of affairs will be gone for the most part by the first Saturday in October.

I thought I would post this as heads up for those interested. Any comments?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jim Kovalchick

Re: HEAS 2020 the 31st year ????

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sun May 24, 2020 12:58 pm

My work schedule has kept me away from HEAS for a couple years, but I've been protecting the weekend at work for 2020. Covid has made other non-work planning my family tried very difficult, but HEAS is still planted firmly on my calendar. A weekend of science with friends and a visit with my daughter at MCV, what could be better?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm

Same here....We've missed your smiling face for the last couple of years. So far as I am concerned we are holding HEAS 31 on the first Saturday of October, as always. Something really bad would have to happen to shut it down. 4.5 months from now we hope this thing mellows out a bit. Restaurants here are just opening to limited numbers via reservation. Beaches are open. Many state parks are also open now.

Northern, VA right at the Potomac, DC, and Maryland remain one of the hot spots due to the mass of humanity packed into 7 cities that encircle DC like Indians around a wagon train. These burgs are needed to contain, house and feed all the federal bureaucrats, lobbyists, spies and other hangers-on in the wadded up Tech centers clustered in and around DC that constantly vie for the rich, mother's milk supplied by the federal tit.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 am

I was hoping to attend HEAS for the first time this year, but up in the air due to the COVID-19 situation.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon May 25, 2020 5:07 am

You are always welcome any time, of course. Everyone has to "cast the bones" and decide based on what they say.

Richard Hull

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Wed May 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Richard, I'm glad to see you're already thinking about this.

As you say, it's too early to tell, but this would be a welcome road trip if it all makes sense when the time comes.

Operators are standing by...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed May 27, 2020 6:25 pm

I must say that if HEAS 2020, #31 is held, no one attending will be chided should they desire to wear gloves and masks. I will probably not make them mandatory at that time. Much will transpire, I am sure between now and then.

Richard Hull

Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:06 am

I am certainly planning on attending again this year. Hope to see Jim Kovalchick and Pam, Tom Vales, Bill Zinnikas and others who have missed the last couple of years.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:14 pm

Great to hear you are going to try and make it this year again, Susan. Always great to see you. You have been a good supplier of images during the event. I usually don't have time or forget to take photos.

Hope to see many of you folks that first Saturday in October. Right now out of the 50 states Virginia is the forth lowest impacted state for covid. The other 46 have more covid. I worry that all the idiots in the streets here don't punch us back up after a suitable incubation period. Many, however, were from out of state. They can take it back home out of VA.

Richard Hull

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:11 am

Richard, I have to be honest but the odds of me attending is probably only 10%. I have totally enjoyed attending most of the last 20 years. This year however is somewhat problematic with the COVID bug.

At time of writing, only 10% or less of the population has been infected. It has been 6 months so if we extrapolate, that means by HEAS, far less than 15% will have been infected. This thing is far from being over. In fact, it is just starting by its own timeline.

The concept of meeting in your yard for the HEAS is not a problem. I would be there if I lived in Richmond or even an hour's drive away. The problem is an entire's day drive, public rest rooms along the way and much diverse indoor contact in many regions along the route. Then there is the hotel and interactions with staff and many other people living and eating in the same space 24 hours a day.

And what if I am the unlucky donkey to get the virus while I am a day's drive from home? The thought of having respiratory difficulties while in no man's land alone in the car for most of the day is also not very appealing to me.

I feel that those of us that are over 60 and have co-morbidities need to be a bit prudent.

In NO WAY am I trying to rain the HEAS parade. I REALLY wish things were different. I mean, I am the one that showed up with broken hands,wrists, and ribs a month after a bad motorcycle accident and I self drove there. The potential of this virus is something else entirely at least for me personally.

I am probably not alone in my thoughts this year at least with the over 60 crowd. Be interesting to hear other's thought on what they are thinking. Like I said, my chance of attending is non zero but the odds are not looking good at the moment.