Vacuum pump and gauge testing

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Cade Neely

Vacuum pump and gauge testing

Post by Cade Neely » Sun May 03, 2020 8:29 pm

To start my fusor project I bought a refurbished 14.5 cfm Pfeiffer rotary vane pump, Edwards Pirani gauge, Edwards gauge and turbo controller, and assorted paraphernalia. The Pirani gauge is attached to a four way NW25 tee that is connected to the pump. The two remaining ports are blanked off but will be connected to the turbo pump later. When I first pumped out the tee the gauge registered a pressure of 5X10e-4 millibar which is lower than the maximum pressure of the pump (the pump was tested by the seller at 3 microns). I let the pressure and gauge stabilize for 10 minutes before adjusting the gauge to read 3 microns. I am in the process of ordering a chamber and have a Edwards nEXT240 turbo pump coming in a few days, more on that later.
Attachments
IMG_2873.jpg
The setup in my garage laboratory
IMG_2873.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Setup2.jpg
a sideview
vacuum.jpg
The controller displaying the gauge pressure in millibar after adjustment

Richard Hull

Re: Vacuum pump and gauge testing

Post by Richard Hull » Sun May 03, 2020 9:48 pm

Nice high dollar stuff. All the best in your fusor efforts.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cade Neely

Post by Cade Neely » Mon May 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you. I would appreciate any tips on fusor construction.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue May 05, 2020 4:06 am

Tips? There hundreds of great tips in the construction forum and most reside in the FAQs section of that forum.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.