Penning trap

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Dan Knapp

Penning trap

Post by Dan Knapp »

If anyone is interested in details of our Penning trap efforts, a paper on it is now posted on arXiv:
arXiv:2004.13103 (Go to arXiv.org and type in identifier. I couldn’t get the pasted link to work on this page).
Jerry Biehler

Re: Penning trap

Post by Jerry Biehler »

A penning for your thoughts?
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

My two pennings worth: It doesn't look like the classic hyperbolic electrode Penning trap is a viable approach to a fusion reactor. The required potentials are too high to avoid breakdown between the closely spaced electrodes. This is another example of something that looks very promising in a computer model, but practical realities of actually doing it in real hardware are a killer. We are now exploring an alternate approach to achieving a spherical potential well with an electrode configuration expected to be less prone to high voltage breakdown.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Keep up the good work in you future efforts, Dan! You, no doubt, have seen my recent issues with close tolerance HV work.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Books & References”