Study of Gridded IEC Systems

Members may post files they wish to share here.
Justin Fozzard

Study of Gridded IEC Systems

Post by Justin Fozzard »

Here is an excellent doctoral thesis that shows why IEC devices such as fusors and polywells will probably never work as useable energy producing devices, as discussed by others on this forum.
Richard Bowden-Reid has investigated where the fusion reactions in such devices occur. He shows that they are mostly due to interactions of energetic ions with gas molecules absorbed in the walls and grids of the device and not due to ion-ion collisions in the central well. However, better development of wall materials may make these devices more useful as high flux neutron generators for isotope production.
I was really impressed by this thesis. It is an excellent read and also a useful resource for the design of pulsed magnets. It confirms my suspicions that the paths travelled by ions within fusors are far too short for collisions in the central well at the usual densities found in these devices. It has also given me the impetus to further investigate an idea that I had several years ago requiring a similar magnetic setup within a vacuum chamber.
Richard Hull

Re: Study of Gridded IEC Systems

Post by Richard Hull »

Of course we have realized and posted on all of this for some years now. Thanks for the reference.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Files”