Coronavirus pandemic

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Dennis P Brown » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 pm

An excellent frontline report at a hospital ICU for Corona-19:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/ ... ay-vpx.cnn

There is just so much still not known and much now only suspected - this virus is certainly something current human systems have never seen so how various people react is and can be very different: from no effect (maybe) or symptoms, to serious organ damage with still no apparent illness symptoms (!) to, of course, death.

Using masks and handwashing are critical if this virus is to be stopped.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Another rather frigthening video but the details are rather informative (but warning, this isn't easy to watch).

Turns out people in their 20's are getting so ill they are struggling to survive when massive lung damage occurs; this vid also explains why a ventilator is killing so many and how the special 'heart/lung' machine is working far better and why; however, in Texas they don't have enough machines or beds to handle the huge surge that is sweeping across main parts of the country that had previously opened. The difficultly of deciding who gets beds for the ICU and who can't is presented.

As a scientist facts are facts and this - while slanted - still provides essential facts. We must avoid filling too many ICU beds if the upward trend of people surviving Covid is to continue.

This virus does kill some young people and can sereverly damage even more young people's organs. Best to wear a mask; wash hands as needed and take this seriously; this isn't the flu nor a virus we've been exposed to before and so much is only now being learned. Play it safe and err on the side of caution.

(The first minute is standard news before they start the vid on covid unit at the Texas hospital.)

https://youtu.be/jQlTC4sUznM

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Young folks think they are invincible, until they aren't. Pinned up like prisoners Feb-June once the pin gate swung open just a tiny amount, they pour out into the direct blast of covid in bars and party hardy. Who would have guessed it??

I have partied hardy with a very limited group of friends who have no kids. We are in our 70's. No masks, no issues. The young are those going out into the germ zoo with abandon. My motto is never approach or get near the young under any circumstance. Thank goodness the young and I have virtually nothing in common on a personally, connective, interactive basis. I work with the young here on fusor. net but that is about the extent of it. For the young here are trying to learn and do.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 pm

I am astonished how cavalier many people are about this virus. (I am not taking about an outdoor distancing event like Richard has). Even with a mask and gloves, the risk is non zero. Groceries, gasoline pumps, door handles, mail, passing cars, and on an on. No place is immune. Numbers are starting to take off now. Much faster than in March. Death rates will also climb after a 2-3 week lag. We have a problem Houston.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 4.56.46 PM.png

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 pm

Both Richard and Frank make excellent points; I'll add these points to re-enforce the issues at hand:

Hand soap (or any soap) used to wash hands for 20 seconds will inactivate and hence 'destroy' 100% of any COVID-19 virus. Properly washing your hands is a great method to help protect yourself. (Aside: strange I have to add this but DO NOT ingest soap! Detergents can be deadly and soap is a terrible irritant. The world is getting strange thanks to the internet with stupid and false information.)

Alcohol hand cleaner with 60% alcohol or more will do the same and is critical to keep handy after touching any questionable surface.

This virus is as deadly as any ever seen in far too many cases (luckily, that number is small compared to Ebola amd MERS and the like. But the current 5% death rate is frightfully high. The trend appears to be going down as they learn better treatments. Here's to hoping it continues to fall but don't be fooled - massive medical intervention is no solution.)

That it can be harmless (maybe) to many others (no apparent symptoms or very minor) makes this virus far more deadly than any that has ever been known to infect humans to date with such lethality. Getting it and not knowing one is ill is a great way to spread this illness far and wide. That is occuring and causing our rates to soar (here masks would make a world of a difference - When out around strangers wear a mask!) That lag period by the virus is also a big issue - up to 14 days.

I say 'maybe' earlier because some people that have shown no symtoms have been found to habor serious damage in their lung(s) and not realize this issue. Maybe only a few, maybe many or even possibly, most - so far, scientificly proven details on this subject are too few to know. As such, take this virus serious even if you are young and going stir crazy. The end effects might haunt you for life or even end it.

Dennis P Brown

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - Graph of Risk/activity

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 pm

UMaybe a useful and simplistic graph showing a rough risk for a given activity. Based 1 to 9. Not sure it is scientifically based (highly unlikely) but does give a very rough idea based on someone doing a resonable study (I hope.)For instance, pumping gas would be low risk if one uses alcohol cleaner after using said pump. I assume that is convoluted in this graph. And using a mask (like when food shopping.) They really should have clarifed these points.
Attachments
risks.jpg