Large Ferrite Core or Pulse Transformer Core

This is the place for your wish list. Let people know what you are looking for. They may have what you want or know somebody that does.
Joshua Guertler

Large Ferrite Core or Pulse Transformer Core

Post by Joshua Guertler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:05 am

Greetings,

I've been working on a power supply that requires a pretty hefty ferrite or pulse core transformer. The core (which ever type it may be) must be 6 inches by 6 inches and weigh around 5 pounds.

The pulse transformer would also need to be metglas or some other type of amorphous metal core.

Sadly, this is a seemingly non-existent market at the moment. All suppliers of metglas transformer cores are located in China, typically on the mainland. This corona virus outbreak has also seemingly caused these companies to shut down until the end of February, which is far too late for me.

Likewise, I was hoping that someone might have one that they'd be willing to sell. Thank you.

Rich Feldman

Re: Large Ferrite Core or Pulse Transformer Core

Post by Rich Feldman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 pm

Do you want ferrite or metglas? The size requirement can't be the same for both materials, not even close, unless you're very flexible about choosing the operating frequency.

"Pulse transformer" is a pretty broad term from which to infer your frequency requirement.
Metglas has electrical conductivity & eddy current challenges just like ordinary transformer steel.
Lower B_max. Maybe much higher permeability, but how does that help in a power supply?

Point is, there's room for you to be more specific about electrical requirements or core parameter requirements.
Even if you're prepared to design around what you can get.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Joshua Guertler

Re: Large Ferrite Core or Pulse Transformer Core

Post by Joshua Guertler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 pm

Greetings,

Preferably, I would be interested in getting a metglas transformer. However, any amorphous metal would do. Sorry for the confusion.

All I need is a general metglas core, the frequency and pulse widths of the pulsed power is fairly low. Likewise, the size isn't terribly important so long as it's a bit over 5 pounds. Thank you.