FAQ - The bell jar is back - sort of

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

FAQ - The bell jar is back - sort of

Post by Richard Hull »

The "Bell Jar" was an amateur vacuum publication from the 1990s to earlier 2000s, published by Steve Hansen. It was fabulous! I subscribed and have every issue in my library. Steve went on line with the bell jar, but it lay a bit fallow after 2012, by his own admission, due to a lack of following and Steve's busy personal life's schedule.

Steve just e-mailed me and said he is going to try and pump some life back into it by adding a monthly newsletter. December's newsletter is now out and it mentions a desire to have others contribute a bit about their amateur vacuum efforts. We have folks here doing vacuum work that is not 100% fusion related who might wish to have a secondary venue and share their experiences via the bell jar. He also plugs our work, too.

http://www.belljar.net/

Go to the articles and publications page from the home page (purple/violet clickables)

For you "vacuum heads" who are very serious vacuumists. You might consider the above as another place to inquire and share. Naturally this in no way is meant to direct fusion related vacuum issues away from this forum. It is just another place for vacuum related data and info., with sharing of personal projects.

Steve has worked for years in the professional vacuum biz for the famous firm MKS and retired just a few years back, like me. I learned a lot about vacuum from Steve and the Bell Jar publication just before the fusion bug bit me.

I put this here as a source of information on general vacuum projects and info. You might take Steve up on his request if you have a cool ion gun project or such and give him some fodder to fatten up his monthly work to inflate the bell jar on line.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Roberto Ferrari

Re: FAQ - The bell jar is back - sort of

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Richard
That is refreshing news!
Great return.
As an old vacuumist, I plan to sum my modest knowledge.
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - The bell jar is back - sort of

Post by Richard Hull »

The January issue of the bell jar is now on line. Check it out. URL above...

It is centered around doing dense plasma focus work!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Vacuum Technology”