CF275 Half Nipple Hardware

This is the place for your wish list. Let people know what you are looking for. They may have what you want or know somebody that does.
Joshua Guertler

CF275 Half Nipple Hardware

Post by Joshua Guertler » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Greetings,

I was curious if anyone would happen to have any CF275 half-nipple hardware that they would be willing to sell. This would be something like double nuts, lock washers, or flange-specific bolts (2.5 inch long). I have seen them on the internet, however I am more interested in purchasing them from people who may have some sitting around. Thank you.

If you are interested, please DM me or email me at guertlerj21@barringtonschools.org. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler

Richard Hull

Re: CF275 Half Nipple Hardware

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:56 pm

I have gone to Lowes or Home Quarters for all my vacuum hardware. I never bothered with priest blessed or kosher vacuum hardware...... lock washers and a couple of good wrenches do the trick regardless of the parentage of vacuum priesthood blessed hardware.

Of course, you are welcome to pay the tariff for "th' silver plated, best stuff". Don't forget the 11 point wrench needed for the very finest.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 am

Thank you for the advice, should one use a washer for both the nuts and the head of the bolt, or just on the nut? Thank you

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 am

I have written this FAQ just for you...Just now. It was needed.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13084&p=85006#p85006

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Thank you, I feel honored to have an FAQ made because of me.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:08 am

Stainless steel hardware that you can find at a big box store is fine for use with vacuum flanges, with one exception. If one of your flanges has tapped holes, rather than through holes on the mating pieces where you use a nut on the other side, spend the money for silver plated bolts, or at least an anti seize compound for stainless steel. Stainless steel hardware galls up if you look at it cross eyed. You will use many words that you can't say on the radio if a bolt seizes up on a tapped hole.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:34 am

Greetings,

Is a clearance hole the same as a through hole? Some of the half nipples I bought from Ancorp (https://ancorp.com/product-category/cf- ... rotatable/) have "clearance holes".

Also, how can I tell I tapped hole from a though hole? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:43 am

Tapped holes on conflats are the less standard N.F. (national fine) hardware, not often stocked in many lengths at the big box stores. Buying the expensive silver plated bolts (anti-seize) are indeed the best bet. The other option is bore out the threaded holes to pass through size for common hardware. You must be careful and use a holding drill press or mill and take care not to booger up the knife edges doing it.

What!! "how do it tell if I have a threaded flange"???!!! I hate having to put you to the bother of actually having to look at the holes in your flange and see if there are threads inside them!!!

Richard Hull

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Greetings,

I wasn't asking how to find out if it was threaded, only to distinguish between if it was tapped or through. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:16 pm

All tapped holes are not through holes. All holes are thru holes, if they are not tapped. Otherwise why have a hole at all. We assume, naturally, that if there is a hole there at all, and it is not tapped, a standard bolt will slip right through. If it is not tapped and a standard bolt will not slip through, you have an odd-ball flange, manufactured for some system designed to keep all other would-be repair people or latter-day scroungers from servicing their product or gaining use of any parts scrapped from it at the end of life of the assembly. This is quite common on many throats of diffusion pump flanges and very early turbos. I have never seen this on any normal conflat flange. Even the old 2.75 curvo-vac flanges which were 100% similar to conflats had useful and normal holes and threads, if threaded at all. (curvo-vacs and conflats could be used together if in a horrid situation and your back is to the wall.

Admittedly, a threaded 1/4X28 N.F flange is a great through hole flange for a 10-32 or a 3/16 bolt or for that matter an 8-32, 6-32 or a 4-40 screw and nut with piled on graded washers, but you are not using a suitable bolt at this point. A ridiculous solution to attaching flanges which might keep them from mating to spec.

To even speak of a non-through hole in an industry standard conflat flange is something I have never heard of. It is either a standard hardware through hole or a tapped/ "threaded" hole!

I can imagine a whacked out metric threaded or metric through hole flange in this day and age, but these might be some euro system of copy-cat conflats made for that market, but that would still, within the metric system, be either a through hole or a tapped/threaded hole. I have never encountered metric through or threaded conflats. My solution to them is to never-ever use metric hardware. I would bore them out to make through holes to English/U.S. standard bolts.

Boltdepot.com currently sell for $6.68, a bag of one hundred, (1/4X20 X 1.25" long bolts). Never do business with the metric hardware end of vacuum assembly when common U.S. standard bolts are at hand in quantities of 100 for chump change.

You may be in Europe. If you are, you are on your own. You still have many choices at hand if you own a drill, have access to any form of hardware at hand, assuming you have odd-ball, custom, vacuum stuff.

Richard Hull