Jim Kovalchick -My attempt at smaller fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jim Kovalchick

Jim Kovalchick -My attempt at smaller fusor

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Holiday's for me mean leaving my apartment in Atlanta and getting back to my permanent home with my wife in South Carolina. That's also where my lab is. So, after a long absence I'm back at it.

I've been inspired by all the success with small fusors, so I'm going to give it a try too. Back when my son Mike was just in middle school (he's a PhD candidate now), he and I scrounged ebay for parts for his triboelectric xray generator. We found a working turbo and controller with a lot of misc vacuum parts sold as a lot. The turbo still sees use, but I wasn't sure we would ever use a CF 6 way cross in the pile. So here it is 2019 and the cross is looking pretty good.

I haven't made a grid yet, but I like the single electron axis pipe grids I'm seeing on the forum. The feedthrough is good to at least 30 kV because that's what Mike ran it too. He wrapped the post with several layers of Kapton, and I'm pretty sure it will do 40 that way.

I hope to get it under vacuum by the end of the weekend with Hope's for Christmas neutrons when I'm home next.

Cheers,

Jim K
Attachments
20191129_093417.jpg

Richard Hull

Re: Jim Kovalchick -My attempt at smaller fusor

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:59 pm

As Jimmy Durante used to say when other actors appeared to out shine him or appeared out of no where........"Everybody wants ta' get into da' act!"

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 pm

Richard,
Well, ink-a dink-a doo.

I love neutrons and when I see Jon R pounding silver to 5000 cpm I want to be all about that even if it means copying.

Jim K

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:47 pm

As you can see from my recent post in construction, I am on my way there slowly with my 6 way cross.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:58 pm

I pulled first vacuum on the chamber this morning. A roughing pump that hasn't run since last winter brought vacuum down into uncalibrated single millitorr in less than 15 minutes. Small chambers are fun. I will eventually put it on a helium leak detector but will wait for all the rest of the connections and valves before I do it.
Attachments
20191130_084744.jpg