FAQ - Fusor Construction Journey in images from the beginning #3

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

FAQ - Fusor Construction Journey in images from the beginning #3

Post by Richard Hull »

1997-1998 Fusor II

In late 1997, just before the new year of 1998, I was already constructing Fusor II. This was to be a traveling demo system on a wooden frame with instrumentation and variac, all in a boxed system. I had a great direct drive, Yellow Jacket pump that could pull 6 microns at the head with fresh oil. I would employ a glass bell jar in this system to avoid any out-gassing issues. A good, thick, flat machined aluminum base would allow for a good vacuum seal and act as a large ground on which to mount the outer grid on stand-offs. Once competed in late January of 1998. I was really pleased that at first pump down, I got to 25 microns in under 2 minutes. By late February I was down to 10-15 microns and obtained my first fabulous "star mode". Star mode came as a complete surprise to me as Tom Ligon never mentioned it!! I was stunned! Slowly the vacuum would attain 9 microns and stars were the norm. I would be able to reach extinction at some voltages and currents. A marvelous period of discovery would follow as many principles would show themselves as unique in my experience.

One of the most interesting was the discovery that I could critically adjust the supply to just barely reach extinction. In this state, I would rub a piece of fur on a teflon rod, and as I quickly brought the rod into a fast arc to stop 18-inches short of the fusor II bell jar, the fusor would strike and light up. As it remained frozen at 18-inches, one could yank it away and the fusor would go dark. At once, I understood the link between gas pressure and electrostatic tension in vacuums.

There was much discovery with magnets in and around extinction and the discovery that a rare earth magnet would cause the supply to draw a tremendous amount of current and the grid to heat to red heat. After every application and removal, the pressure would drop a few microns to extinction. This is how an ion pump works. The light came on in my head once again.

With a metal fusor I would never have had this adventure. One thing I learned was that a good deal of reading would now be in order. From May 1998 until late 1998 I did only two things. I read voraciously about about ionized gases, vacuum technology and neutron physics and gathered parts for a beginning at construction of a spherical, stainless steel fusor. I began the machining and welding in October and disassembled fusor II by December. During its one year life span, It taught me more than I might have hoped for. I found that over-driving fusor II to 15kv could locally "spot heat" the glass bell jar at a point and I actually saw a tiny chip break off the inside in one instance. This was frightening and I saw that only a metal fusor would ever fuse.

After looking at the images below, you can move on to my next fusor effort by going here (Fusor III)

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13053&p=84815#p84815

Below are an equally limited number of images of this demo system that taught me so much.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Late December 1997, the frame is assembled and a "try fit" of the base plate.
Late December 1997, the frame is assembled and a "try fit" of the base plate.
A close up of Fusor II's guts and metal base and mounting of the outer grid.
A close up of Fusor II's guts and metal base and mounting of the outer grid.
The finished fusor II that was marginally portable but the first all inclusive, mounted system.
The finished fusor II that was marginally portable but the first all inclusive, mounted system.
The effects of a rare earth magnet placed against the glass of the bell jar.
The effects of a rare earth magnet placed against the glass of the bell jar.
A typical star mode image produced by fusor II  This effect stunned me, but far more would be learned over its year of existence.
A typical star mode image produced by fusor II This effect stunned me, but far more would be learned over its year of existence.
One of the best images of fusor II star mode.  This was at about 10 microns and 10-12 kv applied.
One of the best images of fusor II star mode. This was at about 10 microns and 10-12 kv applied.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Fusor Construction & Operation”