Knowledge - how to get it - read

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Richard Hull

Knowledge - how to get it - read

Post by Richard Hull »

Showing my age....I used to spend hours in the city library and college libraries learning via reading. If you are hungry enough for the knowledge, you can get it. Just how hungry are you is the question that must be answered. As late as the 1980's libraries were the prime source and often the only source of key scientific data, outside of periodicals that came to your home.

I remember getting on the bus and going downtown to the public library, spending three days searching past copies of Scientific American and Popular Electronics for useful schematics that I would hand transfer by redrawing them at the table. (No xerox back then.) Those hard oak chairs in the library were rough on the ass after 3 or 4 hours. The bumpy bus ride home didn't help either. I am glad the kids of today have it easy in this regard....Of course that includes this old kid as well...

There is always good news and bad news with any process. In my scenario above, there is no nostalgia or longing for the old days, it was a struggle to secure information of a complex scientific nature back then. High school libraries were, at best, crap in this respect. Thus, when it comes to getting information, you had to have the verve and drive as the process separated the wheat from the chaff.

Regardless, outside of direct demonstration, (college classroom), critical information forces the folks with the "right stuff" to read!!! This holds for the tens of thousand of lines of text here at fusor.net and the selected and proven references in this forum. Yes, reading takes time.....Make the time and take the time!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Books & References”