First ever Turbo experience

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Richard Hull

Re: First ever Turbo experience

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 am

Again I want to thank all who have shared their specific knowledge related to turbo pump intricacies. I have read a bit, I have listened to others a lot through past posts and received information on my specific case. I now consider myself well informed on turbo pumps, but until I have the laying upon of the hands, I will not be more than just informed or well read. The real useful learning adventure lay ahead. I realize this is not rocket science, but it is a process. A process that makes complete the reading, the wise advice and mentoring which with the active use and operation turns it into true ownership of knowledge.

This is what all these forums and FAQs are about...Open source sharing, teaching and learning. Still they mean little until put into practice. As I progress in the installation and application of my turbo, I will keep this thread informed.

Once again I quote from Frances Bacon's famous essays; the one called "of Studies". Remember, these are written in the style of English prose in use in the 14th century. Until you get used to Bacon's complex prose the going can be tough in many of his essays.

"To spend too much time in studies is sloth; to use them too much for ornament is affectation; to make judgement wholly by there rules is the humor of the scholar. They perfect nature and are perfected by experience. Crafty men contemn studies, simple men admire them, wise men use them; for they teach not their own use; but that there is wisdom without them and above them, won by observation."

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:34 am

My turbo also has hose barbs. It can be either water cooled or air cooled. The packaged unit holding my turbo has a 60 CFM (as I recall) "muffin fan" for cooling.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:40 am

I would imagine water cooling might be in order if this were a 24-7 running turbo. Doc Bussard's lab had its mechanical and Turbo running 24 -7 when I visited in 2000, courtesy of Tom Ligon, his lab rat. Their fusor was a 3 foot sphere at that time.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:17 am

I think it's not so much long-term running but running for significant duty cycle with significant gas flow.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:46 am

Correct. I will sometimes leave my turbo and roughing pump running all the time. But that's under a pretty hard vacuum, so not much heating once the chamber is pumped down. Heat has not been an issue with my air cooled system.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 am

I think I fried bearings on a varian pump by running it without cooling and it was connected to a SEM, so no gas load. So watch it, I would at least put a muffin fan on it like in the manual.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:58 am

Both Bob and I have muffin fans on our Turbos. See original post images. Bob claims in the above posts that his pump does use a muffin fan.

Richard Hull

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:16 am

Saw this thread and thought I might ask a question

I have this unit without any cooling assemblies and I’m afraid to try it out without checking the oil. So far I’ve read the manual and I know the process to replace the oil and I know the standard oil needed (TL011). But it’s pretty expensive getting my hands on some.

https://www.duniway.com/part/turbo-oil-100

Is this something I could use? Does anyone have a more economic way?

Thanks,
Ameen Aydan

Edit:

I was dumb and didn't check the MSDS.

https://www.duniway.com/images/_pg/MSDS ... l-100a.pdf

This oil is just repackaged and renamed TL011 oil.

On the brighter side I found a cheaper place to get the oil! Shipping might hurt you though....

https://www.mascom-bremen.de/html/en/va ... 20290.html
Last edited by Ameen Aydan on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:43 am

I have read the manual and the thing seems to need only a few drops on a wick in the bottom that is just a screwdriver remove wick plate as opposed to some oil reservoir that needs filling. I think this is what I read.

Richard Hull

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:16 am

I just read it too and it seems to say the same thing. But the begs to ask the question of what this little screw is for:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 12.09.19 AM.png
What is that for?!
Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 12.09.19 AM.png (515.36 KiB) Viewed 1458 times