I'm New to Posting Here

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Michael Driscoll

I'm New to Posting Here

Post by Michael Driscoll »

I'm Michael Driscoll from Leesburg, Va USA. I'm 69, retired, and interested in Nuclear Physics. I'm slightly interested in fusors as I like reading about them but will not make one myself. I am interested in atoms and their full sized components like electrons, protons, and especially neutrons. I was initially a Chemistry major but soon was stopped by my poor learning skills and Calculus and Organic chem. I found the computer in 1974 and got right into micro processor programming and I knew I found what I was good at.

Now that I'm not working I am exploring Geiger counters, neutron sources and detection, and lately gamma spectroscopy.

I have been reading threads on here for over a year.

I have a lead castle, a polyethylene castle, a GammaSpectacular 2" spectroscopy setup, lots of Geiger and Neutron tubes. I have a Hantec DSO4102C o'Scope. I have some NIM Bins and modules that I never got to work. I have a RadiaCode 101 and a BetterGeiger scintillator Geiger counter and a GammaScount and a Terra P+ and dozens of Chinese Geiger boards and tubes.

I have, I'm pretty sure, detected Neutrons from a Po/Be NucleSpot source with one of GammaSpectacular's Scmitt-Triggers and an SI19N tube, one of those GE BF tubes, and one of Maximus Energy's Neutron-Lite devices.

A friend built me a really, really nice Peltier Cloud Chamber.

I have programmed an Arduino ESP32 to count impulses and display them on a web site via WiFi. I made a three Geiger tube Cosmic Ray/Muon detector out of my own head and have enough wood left over to make another one, to paraphrase one of my Dad's old standby jokes.

I am interested in X-Rays some, too.

I also have had type one Diabetes for 66 years and it's taking a severe toll. I have a kidney and two pancreas transplants. I am in a hurry to do all the things I am interested in before it's too late. I have been happily married to a really smart and incredibly tolerant woman for 47 years. I hope to make it 50. I am very happy.

I am, as we speak, activating gold foil and getting a spectrum of it with looking for Au198 activity in mind.

Mike D.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”