Fusion Bucks! Where Do We Sign Up?

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Fusion Bucks! Where Do We Sign Up?

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

So, based I'm sure in no small part on the astounding success announced last year with the NIF "breakeven!" 'shot', it appears that all sorts of would-be fusion projects are lining up at the trough of U.S. Gov't largesse:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 023-05-31/

Admittedly, $46-million seems like a drop in the bucket in a world where they're spending $20-billion on ITER...

And I know Richard insists the the fusor will never amount to anything useful, but I can't help but wonder what we could come up with if we even had a cool million to sprinkle around on some projects.

Time for another GoFundMe or Kickstarter???

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Re: Fusion Bucks! Where Do We Sign Up?

Post by Richard Hull »

I can't see a thing wrong with throwing another one thousand piles of a million of dollars in each pile, (one billion) against the armor plated steel wall that is the fusion barrier. Keep that treasure coming! We need "make busy projects" built around the well armored fusion barrier. The new private, single player, fusion efforts are raking it in.

First order....Build or move into a huge facility, and as quick as possible, pack it full of impressive gear. Create an internet glossy appearance... You look viable
More money pours in...
Second order of business... Hire folks who know how to make scientific stuff. Cheap technicians will make the place look like a beehive of activity.
Yet more money pours in...
Demo some impressive plasma with a big show before even bigger investors. Use the just discovered private enterprise, "real soon now" promise. The difference, unlike the big boys in fusion, the private start ups know people with real personal money expect a quick return and real soon now shrinks to from one year for those realizing they need one more year of funding to bilk enough to find their next job, all the way to 5 years for those startups that can try and deceive themselves and others.

Never, ever give fusion number data or similar Q plasma, or worse still Q total, efficiency numbers under any circumstance. You are working with idiot investors who wouldn't understand anyway. You realize if they did, you would never get another penny.

Let's get going! More moola, please. We need to continue spinning our wheels bumped against the fusion armored wall.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

I guess this has something to do with the huge spending bill that was recently passed?

If so, they (our government) don’t give a crap about whether or not this actually accomplishes anything. It’s just to check mark that they did some stuff.

Same for money being thrown at the utilities. They don’t ask us for what we REALLY NEED, they ask us to ask for really ridiculous projects…I suggested a steel pole transmission rebuild to better withstand hurricanes. They suggested some “micro grids” that are essentially just PV arrays for small commercial buildings…

That’s all I’ll say about that.

-Matt
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All of that 46 million is to be distributed to the biggest startups, ensconced in large aircraft hanger sized buildings with big gear and big promises of "real soon now". Their total data is merely the peak temperatures they have reached. No fusion numbers of Q totals stated at the present state of their operational system. They dare not speak of it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”