PEM based H2/D2 gas system for fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Rich Gorski

PEM based H2/D2 gas system for fusor

Post by Rich Gorski »

Hi everyone,

This might be of interest to those just starting out on a fusor project or those who just want to keep deuterium cost at a minimum. The info below shows my version of a PEM (proton exchange membrane) based gas system that I have successfully used in my ring accelerator fusor to generate fusion neutrons. Compared to purchasing a 50 liter lecture bottle of D2 gas at about $650-$750 this method will cost about $250 for the equipment. An equivalent amount of heavy water (about 50 grams will generate 65 liters) will cost about $120. The upside is that you can simply use distilled water (H2) to get your system up and running and then switch to heavy water to do real fusion. The down side is that the D2 gas from the PEM cell will contain some level of humidity (D2O) than the gas from the lecture bottle. However in my experience with this system the neutron production rate is still prolific.

Rich G.
PEM gas photo.jpg
Picture4.jpg
PEMtext1.jpg
PEMtext2.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: PEM based H2/D2 gas system for fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice piece of work! I like the operational instructions. If it works for you, that is what it is all about.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Re: PEM based H2/D2 gas system for fusor

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Agreed. Very good overview of the system and operation

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”