Questions about high voltage power supply

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Miles Duncan

Questions about high voltage power supply

Post by Miles Duncan »

I recently got a Bertan 2411BN high voltage 40kv 5ma negative power supply. However, I have had much difficulty understanding how the io control works. Upon plugging it in, the fans rev up and the overvoltage indicator reads 5v, which is the logic HIGH and means that the overvoltage has not tripped. However, no voltage is supplied across the high-voltage terminals. My understanding is that the enable pin should cause the power supply to be active when it is not grounded, and the enable pin is not connected to anything. The voltage program is connected, and I have a separate power supply meant to output 1.3 volts, corresponding to 13 kv. I have attached an image of how I currently have it wired up. The image is really bad, but I think you can get the general idea. Any help would be really appreciated because I am really pressed for time in getting this power supply to work.
Screenshot 2023-05-15 230135.png
Dennis P Brown

Re: Questions about high voltage power supply

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A bit confused (not at all familiar with your unit). You say it isn't 'grounded' and the 'enable' button/circuit isn't connected. Both those issues sound like something that would prevent a power supply from working properly.
William Turner

Post by William Turner »

First and foremost be very careful with high voltage supplies, especially if you are unfamiliar with electronics (since the unit you have is an OEM model designed for x-ray machines)

Can you provide a picture of your setup? I assume you mean, that when you supply 1.3V the output doesn't respond?
Rich Gorski

Post by Rich Gorski »

Miles,

I assume you have a manual for the Bertan 2411BN. If so could you snap a photo of the 1 or 2 pages that talks about the multipin connector and post it here. I may be able to help if I can see that part of the manual.

Rich G.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”